Real money for Game Money - Your thoughts

Discuss anything you want about Minecraft here including our own servers

Do you think we should offer in-game money for real money?

Poll ended at Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:58 pm

Yes - Allow the purchasing of in-game money with real money
39%
No - Do not allow the purchasing of in-game money with real money
61%

Total votes: 23
Pri
Site Admin
Site Admin

Real money for Game Money - Your thoughts

Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:58 pm

I have been asked quite often to offer players the ability to buy game money with real money. I have setup a few private deals where by I exchanged my own personal in-game money (the money I earned fairly, not magicked into existence) for real money with a handful of players who asked.

But I cannot keep doing that as I will eventually run out of money and it's also not giving everyone the same opportunity to get in-game money for their donations.

So I'm formally asking, do you guys want me to enable in-game money for real money? The exchange rate would be R1,000 per $1 donated.

What are your thoughts? Please feel free to reply and vote in the poll. Thanks.
FocusEZ

Re: Real money for Game Money - Your thoughts

Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:59 pm

i think that it would be a pretty good idea, plus would help fund the server.
Holleh

Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:03 pm

I believe that although it is a good suggestion and it would help fund the server it has its disadvantages. Players may become competitive over money and cause other players to feel 'poor' and unwelcome in the server. On the other hand its a good idea as the plugins on the server cost a lot to run and money is needed to fund the server. Overall I think it is a good idea because without funding the server wouldn't be here today.
freakboy31
Supporter
Supporter
CPU: i7-7700HQ
RAM: 16GB
Motherboard: -
GPU: GTX 1050Ti 4GB
Display: -
Cooling: -

Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:16 pm

If M-jang allows this, sure thing. When donating, it should show the equivalent of server costs (if someone ever donates that big amount)
I'm SUPPORTER and was the first Asian and youngest staff member at age 13.
freakboy31
Epic Crafter since Nov 2013 / Server moderator from Jun. 2012 - Oct. 2017

Populus Magnus nation
BioZombieActive
Artist
Artist

Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:23 pm

50/50 about this. I, unsure atm, ill update in a few days about how I feel and place my vote then.
If you don't want a sarcastic answer, don't ask a stupid question.
Immature: A word boring people use to describe fun people.
Next sob story: rip their throat out and shove a turd down the hole.
(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧
Rav~24

Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:45 pm

I think its a great idea, with the services you provide and the robust amount of features being added on a daily. Including rising server costs this is a great exchange rate 1USD to 1k rennies. with the above comment i do not think our server would "Poor Shame" anyone based on there income in game, it never has and never will be a problem on the server. Hope this comes a real thing, supporting a community that has been open for 10 years and going strong. whats not the like about giving back to it, since it gave so much to us.
Panoramixia
Epic Crafter
Epic Crafter

Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:51 pm

I think that getting more money for the server cost is a great idea.
But I voted against the proposition to exchange "Real money for Game Money" because it is against the 2017 EULA.
I would really hate that Mojang closes this great server ! :(
https://help.mojang.com/customer/en/portal/articles/1590522-minecraft-commercial-use wrote: Minecraft Commercial Use - Last Updated - Jan 23, 2017

The Minecraft End User License Agreement (EULA) sets rules for downloading and using the game.
The most recent version of the EULA can be found at account.mojang.com/documents/minecraft_eula.
The Brand And Assets Guidelines define the allowed use of the Minecraft name, brand, and other assets.
This is not limited to websites and servers but also things like merchandise.
The Commercial usage guidelines allow some leniency with respect to limited commercial activities.
Previously, server owners were not allowed to sell items on their servers, in accordance with the EULA.
New allowances for monetization can be found within these guidelines.

Information for server owners
Below are some additional clarifications and a few examples to help you interpret the Commercial usage guidelines when it comes to servers.
However, this help article does not replace the Commercial usage guidelines.
Please note that not all features in this article are available in the unmodded version of Minecraft and that most things (except for “capes”) are okay to offer for free or for soft currency.
Hard currency is real money or anything that can be converted into real money, including, but not limited to, Bitcoins.
Soft currency is available in-game only and has no real-world value.
You may not sell soft currency for hard currency, neither separately or along with ranks as a single or recurring payout.
This is regardless of what you can use the soft currency for.

Because the Commercial usage guidelines state that you may charge for access to your server only if you make a single charge per person that is the same for everyone, you may not sell “lives” or reduced ban time for hard currency.
If you have a single entrance fee for your server, it needs to be the same for all players, including the ones connecting for the first time.
The Commercial usage guidelines also state that you may give everyone you charge access to all the Mods that you choose to have on your server, except only in respect of genuine admin tools/mods which should be reserved for administrators.
Because of this, you may not sell “unbans”, “unmutes” or similar admin tools for your server for hard currency, regardless of who receives the money.
Additionally, the Commercial usage guidelines state that you may sell cosmetic items, except for “capes”, if the item sold does not give a user an unfair gameplay advantage over anyone else on the server.
Due to this, you are not allowed to sell the following for hard currency:
  1. The ability to:
    • use a portable crafting table, chest, ender chest, compass, etc.
    • set the time of day or weather, for yourself or others, other than in places where the intended server's gameplay does not occur, such as the lobby of a minigame server.
    • clear your inventory.
    • respawn.
    • create teleportation points, no matter who can use them.
    • teleport to a saved location (commonly, the /home command).
    • teleport to your last location (commonly, the /back command).
    • see other players’ inventory, other than in creative mode.
    • see a list of players that are nearby, other than in creative mode.
    • see the crafting recipe for an item, or the ability to craft an item automatically.
    • remove the enchantment from an item.
    • automatically sell blocks that you mine.
    • automatically compress resources to their block form.
    • fly in places where the intended server's gameplay occurs.
    • edit several blocks at the same time, regardless of where on the server you can do it.
    • keep your inventory or specific items when you die.
  2. A non-cosmetic item or perk:
    • that is dropped in an area accessible by everyone, whether other players are notified of the drop or not.
    • as a prize after fighting a boss in an area accessible by everyone, whether other players are notified of the event or not.
  3. Bedrock blocks or other non-cosmetic items.
  4. Schematics, regardless of the game mode.
  5. Higher bandwidth, or other improved connections to the server.
  6. Access to contests based on stats (i.e. most blocks mined etc.), if the prize is not cosmetic.
  7. Decreased cooldown for non-cosmetic commands.
  8. Items or perks that affect gameplay or give the player an unfair advantage, even if they are also available through soft currency purchase, or just by playing the game for a certain time.

We have decided to allow larger and additional plots on creative mode servers to be sold for hard currency (real money).
    The above list of examples is not exhaustive but meant to provide you with answers to the most frequently asked questions.
    If something is not covered by the Commercial usage guidelines, that probably means that we do not want you to do it.
Mojang had the same opinion in 2014, so it seems unlikely to change:
https://mojang.com/2014/06/lets-talk-se ... etisation/
https://mojang.com/2014/06/lets-talk-se ... low-up-qa/

I get that anything cosmetic can be sold for Real Money without problem, like Pets cards and Disguise cards, but I would they bring in a lot of money for the server cost ? :?

I do not know if players can privately sell Game Money for Real Money.
All I could find was other player opinion, which basically said that people could reverse the charge back so you could loose both: https://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comm ... eal_money/
Pri
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:10 pm

It's not possible for Mojang to "shutdown" our server. They can only block it from their system, we are already in breach of the 2017 EULA as we give players fly for donating.

However we did not agree to the 2017 EULA. Our server is so old that we agreed to the 2010 EULA written by Notch where by he allowed servers to sell anything they want for any reason. Thus Mojang has no legal recourse against anything we do.

Also their blocking only works for DNS A records, they would be unable to block our server as we have technical means to get around it easily.

So do not worry about the EULA situation, it is not legally binding, we did never accept it anyway. Vote as your personal opinion, not an EULA based one.
Girvvy
Staff
Staff

Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:29 pm

Whilst I can see the interest people may have in purchasing money and how it would help server costs, I personally think that buy-to-win systems can be quite intimidating to those who don't partake. I think a few players may end up feeling quite disappointed that others seem to have some form of advantage over them since they've "bought" money. I like the donation system as it currently is, how you can donate for supporter status, however to me this feels a bit too direct in just gaining money with purchases.
LeahRaeRae

Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:27 pm

NO. I wouldn't allow it.
What happens the first time one of the younger players gets a hold of their parents credit card and makes purchases? Then comes the complaints. The "I didn't know what I was doing." "My parents didn't know"
Then starts disputes. Fraud alert put on credit cards. This site possibly being reported to the BBB.
What happens if someone purchases and then down the road for any reason gets banned from the site. They could get upset and demand their money back even thou it was their fault for getting the ban.
Im sure there are positive points to allowing this but I see there being more negative and a huge headache in someway.

Return to “Minecraft General Discussion”