Benefits for Town and Nation

A place for Mayors to post their towns, advertise for new members and discuss their future plans.
Psico45
Master Crafter
Master Crafter

Benefits for Town and Nation

Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:28 pm

I'm wondering if we'll have benefits to towns and particularly nations. Will there be cards for those?
Pri
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Benefits for Town and Nation

Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:07 pm

It's something I've wanted to implement for a very long time. I first spoke about having nation cards in March 2014 where I posted this card on our home page:

The intention was this, you would be a member of a nation and the nation owner would select from a bunch of abilities/powerups and then their nation members would receive cards for that nation which gave them those abilities/powerups.

However as the years have gone on my attention has been split among many different areas from getting us updated to 1.10 (which took like 6 months) to all the other things we've added since then like our v2 shop, warehouse, shopping district, custom contest plots, in-game auctions and also the more than 100 other cards and card types (pets, trails, disguises etc) that have been added.

It is still something I want to bring to the server, I think it will really add an extra dynamic to towns and nations, but figuring out the details of what the cards on offer will be, how they will look to users, how it will integrate with our towny system. It's a lot to think about. Writing the code is easy, the hard part is implementing it in a way that it's simple to use, brings a tangible benefit so people actually want to use it and also that it's fun. Those are the hurdles.

I do think it will happen, eventually. But I definitely need to have a lot of time set aside to think about it and implement it. One of the problems I face with this is when I solicit ideas from players they often come up with ideas for cards that just are either too overpowered or impossible for me to implement due to the lack of an API from Mojang. For example a card that gives people capes. Things I just can't do.

I hope this answers your question ;)
Psico45
Master Crafter
Master Crafter

Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:26 am

Yes it does. And I can imagine it is a lot of work so it's no surprise that it has taken a while.

I wouldn't mind sitting down and hashing out an idea for benefits and whatnot for towns or nations if it helps.
Pri
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:05 pm

Feel free to write some ideas in this thread for it. I'll check back :)
jackerdelta
Legendary Crafter
Legendary Crafter

Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:04 pm

What about a simple system that gives the same set of cards, based on nation size? For example, if you start a nation and it has 10 towns, everyone in your nation gets a card that gives them a 2% additional discount, if you get 15 towns in your nation you then get a 2% discount card and all the mayors in the nation get a tax break, where instead of upkeep being 30R a day, its reduced to 25R or 28R, and if you get 20 nations you get the previously mentioned perks + a card that the leader of the nation chooses, like a secondary mining boost card (for yourself), or a repair card. Finally, if you become the biggest nation on the server you get the previous perks + a REALLY special card like an R200 for EVERYONE in the NATION (redeemable once every 30 days). Obviously the thresholds in which you get these perks are just arbitrary values at the moment, with some tweaking they could work (or do it by rank, like top 5 biggest nations, top 10 biggest nations, etc etc) And at the 3rd tier, when nations are given the option to choose a "niche" card, people are given unique options, like if you have a town that loves to mine, they can join a nation that allows them to get an extra mining boost card, or if they love chopping down trees they can join a nation that gives them an additionally tree lopper card (just possibilities) And if you're looking to make this a money sink, make the cards cost money (R5000 for tier 1, R10000 for tier 2, R20000 for tier 3, and R35000 or something for top tier)

This is what I believe would make an effective reward system for nations...
-Jack

Legendary Crafter 2016, Epic Crafter 2015-2016, City Planner 2013-2015, Architect 2012-2013, Apprentice 2011-2012
TanDau
Artist
Artist

Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:23 pm

A card that gives towns a certain number of plot claims based on the nation size, or any other criteria set would be nice. Also, possibly a card that gives a "special item" pertaining to the nation, like a armor set or something, redeemable once every 6 months.

Tan
member Dec 2014-Jan 2015
Apprentice Jan 2015-Nov 2015
Artist Nov 2015-now
EmberCelica
Engineer
Engineer
CPU: i7 6700k
RAM: 16GB DDR4
Motherboard: [Unknown]
GPU: AMD RX480
Cooling: Fan Cooling

Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:34 pm

Just some ideas:
For the economy centric town, a choice of these -
  • 3 free bets every week
  • 1% shop discount
  • 5% invest every month
  • 5 coins every day
  • 100R card every week
  • Reset 1 cooldown of choice every 3 months/Reset all cooldowns every 6 months (cannot select cooldown reset cards)
  • Bonus .1r/min card
For the building cetnric town, a choice of these -
  • 10 free town chunks every months(town owner only)
  • 2 stacks of a random non-ore block every week
  • A free outpost where the owner is standing every 3 months (town owner only)
  • A random tool enchanted with effeciency 5 every week
  • A repair every month
  • 1 of a random ore every day, affected by ore multiplier
  • A mining boost, affects everyone/self-only, every month/week (cooldowns respective to who it affects)
I also propose that the town has 2 choices among these, and can only change which cards the town has access to once every week.
Also that cooldowns are independent of the slot choice, as well as the slots having independent change cooldowns.
With this i broke it down into 2 sections, but they do not have to be separate of each other.
I also proposed it this way, because it is a simple interaction between the user and the server, and, it is also dynamically expandable. Perhaps the cooldowns or values could be tweaked, but this is an idea i thought i would throw out there.
Image Im the engineer of engineers.
Check out my redstone info thread

Return to “Town and Nation Discussion”