Naugrim29's Master Crafter application. Second Try

Make an application here to receive a higher rank such as Apprentice, Architect, Engineer, Artist, Director or City Planner
nAugrim29
Architect
Architect

Naugrim29's Master Crafter application. Second Try

Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:51 pm

The Rank I'm applying for is: Master Crafter
My Game Name is:nAugrim29
My Project is called: nAug's farms
To get to my project: use my sethome 'naugdenville'
A brief description of my project: OK. So this is the second attempt to attain this rank with the same build, but I've done A LOT of work on it since the first application. Basically what it is is a medieval style farm, on which everything is designed to follow the natural shape of the land, look partially overgrown, etc.
Three mandatory screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/SGRIQ
Pri
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Naugrim29's Master Crafter application. Second Try

Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:09 pm

Beauty: 8/10
Uniqueness: 8/10
Execution: 9/10
Scale: 8/10

Total: 33 / 40 points.

Unfortunately this isn't enough for Master Crafter which needs 35 points. I think the execution did go up from last time but it needs more work still on the other things. I do have some recommendations, add some more buildings, perhaps a mock-town. Try building some underground structures too, perhaps a brewery. I did see your underground storage area which is good it adds to the execution well.

I do believe this build can hit higher numbers on beauty and scale. Perhaps uniqueness too if you think outside the box more. Definitely just needs more, the quality of what you have now is fine but it's plain, there's no "wow" factor you know?

you're getting closer though, 33 is very close to 35.
Pri
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:24 pm

I have spoken to nAugrim29 in-game about this rating and he would like a second opinion. So if anyone would like to check out the build and give their rating (staff mostly but also players who are Architect or higher ranked) please use /warp naug and then post your rating and thoughts in this thread.
LeahRaeRae

Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:40 pm

Ive looked at the build and this is how I would rate it:

Beauty: 8/10
Uniqueness: 8/10
Execution: 8/10
Scale: 8/10

Total: 32 / 40 points

Nothing really sticks out to me in this area or build that says "WOW". It needs something a little more. Something to draw the attention to the area.
You have a lot outside of your buildings but nothing really in them? Decorate them some. A little bit here and there could go a long way.
nAugrim29
Architect
Architect

Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:13 am

A few points I'd like to make, specifically asking for elaboration on a few of pri's own statements from my first MC app.

1 - 'The size of the build itself has resulted in a high scale score'
- this score was 8/10 to be precise.
2 - 'As for scale, you could just fill the surrounding areas where you've already made paths with more buildings and farms to increase that score.'
- the actual size of the land my build covers is in fact the same, but anyone could see with little difficulty that within that area the areas built up and modified
by myself have nearly doubled, so I don't see how that score could remain the same in the second MC app I submitted. Admittedly it is mainly fields of
crops with only a few structures, such as the windmill for instance, added in, but seeing as how it is a farm It is realistic. Consider what is real life setting I'm
trying to mimic, if you will, and you will see that in actual fact it's not terribly different from the way a real farm would be laid out.

3 - 'I like how you've built paths around the hills and made use of the natural crevices. The buildings feel cohesive with the landscape. I especially like the wheat fields and natural looking farms, they look very realistic which has resulted in a high execution and beauty score'
- That score in the first application was 8/10
- There are a few flower gardens now, whereas before there was none.
- There are numerous custom trees, both large and small. Before there was only two or three of them.
- I have made numerous additions with shrubs and greenery to give the impression of nature trying to take back the farm.
- In this case In hindsight I don't necessarily believe there have been enough additions to warrant a higher score, but I can't shake the feeling that these small
things were given little to no consideration in the second application, despite the fact that 'A little bit here and there could go a long way', if I may borrow a
line from Leah's response.

I know that I can be difficult sometimes when I don't get my way on something, but I did take time to review both rank applications and consider things carefully. I believe that my concerns are valid and I think that at the very least some elaboration on the part of the staff is in order.

Pri made a suggestive comment that I should 'think outside the box more' in his response to my rank application earlier today. I would like to challenge the staff to do likewise when they're judging peoples builds. This is a medieval type farm in a forest setting. Consider what that may look like in real life and you will see that this build mimics that fairly closely, and as such the layout and lack of structures, while somewhat lacking in fine details, is in fact fairly appropriate to that style of build.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Your friend, and fellow minecrafter - nAugrim29
Pri
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:48 am

It's just not good enough for Master Crafter. To put it simply, anyone can put down some flowers and wheat, that will not boost up the scale. You need to do more than that, we need to see some more buildings and unique architecture, some subterranean stuff as-well.

And yes you're difficult to deal with, annoying even, I'm thinking about not allowing you to apply for ranks any more if you cannot accept the ratings you're getting. I asked several people in-game to look at it and all said they were surprised you even got 32/40 and 33/40 from me for it.
nAugrim29
Architect
Architect

Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:44 pm

I don't believe that course of action is necessary. Strikes me as a touch on the harsh side tbh. It was never my intent to upset you Pri, I was just looking for some clarification on the points I've listed above. I appreciate the input from both yourself and Leah, but won't lie to you and say I enjoy having that potentially hanging over my head. I'll just keep building away and see what happens. Thanks - naug.

PS - may as well lock the thread. I have nothing more to say on the matter.
Pri
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:17 pm

It's not just what was said here, it's the moaning in PM, moaning to other staff members, expecting higher scores than last time because you added some more foliage. I kept telling you, add buildings.

It's not your disappointment or asking for a second opinion that is annoying, it's the way you go about expressing it. You said my rating was "stingey". I honestly do not want to deal with you any more in future another member of staff can rate your stuff, if they are willing to take the harassment if you don't get what you want.

I still remember how you acted last time when your build wasn't rated fast enough, you were very rude then and still rude now.
nAugrim29
Architect
Architect

Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:05 pm

Fair enough then. It's true that I can be a rude, obstinant, arrogant, and abusive man when I don't get what I want. It's a character defect of mine that I need to work on for sure. I'm not going to insult your intelligence by denying that. Clearly you have received some complaints about my conduct in chat and in private messages, and you're fed up with it. I will work on adjusting my behavior on the server you have my word. I'm saddened by the fact that you find me to be rude, but it is of my own doing to an extent, and I do tend to be quite abrupt when I speak. If you don't want to rate my builds in the future that's OK with me. I hope that in time I can go back to being on happier terms with you. If not I understand - nAug.

Return to “Minecraft Rank Application Forum”