Moz's hole lot of trouble

Discuss, Plan, Build and Post your creations here
Mozino
Architect
Architect

Re: Moz's hole lot of trouble

Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:42 pm

Week 3 - RIP Left mouse button

Week 3 Goals - Get down to y10 layer, tidy up the walls and floor layer.

So again, lots of digging, lots of picks dying. Went from 1.6mil stone mined originally to this :

Somehow, it felt like more. A lot more. Kinda wish I hadn't chosen to go down to y10. If I had just gone to y11 I wouldn't have had to fill in all those lava lakes down there which really slowed me down quite a bit. On the upside I found about 4 stacks of diamond ore, which almost covers the cost of the picks I used digging. When I finally got down to y10, it was a bit of a mess

Even though the floor is going to be all covered in stuff anyway I decided to spruce it up a bit, keep my inner ocd monkey happy. Also I wanted to protect the walls from anyone who was mining along as I think in the future I will need the towny claims back for other areas. It needed to be something you wouldn't find naturally underground and wouldn't break instantly when a miner with haste and eff picks ran into it. I decided on glass due to having recently dug up most of a desert and I don't exactly have a shortage of coal now.

23k glass blocks, a few stacks of glowstone and a fair bit of swearing at lava and it's done! Ah my favourite ingredient of all, uniformity. I've got a solid idea for what is going to go into the hole, what its function will be and where it goes, but I need to play around on creative first since it's not going to be small. Also the buildings I put in will dictate how the walls and ground will fit so they will be my priority for now.

Week 4 Goals - Make a copy of the hole on creative and get at least a basic shape for a central structure. Also work out the dimensions of some land masses around the top of the hole and maybe start plotting those on survival. Lots of planning, yay graph paper! :D
Moderocky
Apprentice
Apprentice
Motherboard: Buttered toast
Display: A lightbulb and cloth
Cooling: My fishtank

Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:41 pm

What if you do your creative version and then decide that it's not going to work? Will you get 1.89 million water buckets, 58000 gravel, 2.8 million blocks of cobble, smelted to stone, and all the lava that you swore at and put it back again?

Actually I'm really interested at what you're gonna put in here, it should make a good slime farm, or was there an "Insta-magic-town-in-a-275-block-radius-hole" card that I didn't hear about?
Mozino
Architect
Architect

Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:34 pm

Week 4 - hycl backspace backspace backspace hcyl

Week 4 Goals - Make a copy of the hole on creative and get at least a basic shape for a central structure. Also work out the dimensions of some land masses around the top of the hole and maybe start plotting those on survival.

Started with the land masses since it seemed a little easier on my brain after all the digging. I knew I wanted one side of the hole to be exposed to the sea as I want to put a hydro electric dam on that side and on the other side I wanted a waterfall of some kind. Some graph paper and a lot of typing hcyl wrong I got :

The yellow wool being where I'll build land. Tried to make it on survival but after 4 failed attempts I gave up for now since it wont impact the rest of the build for a while. Relaxed a bit on skyblock, had a few ideas for the central building, then my skyblock burned down so I took it as a sign I should be building something on creative.

I knew I wanted a 2 way rail bridge going through the middle and a foot bridge from each of the land masses to all link in the middle of the hole somehow. The rail bridge would be higher so when it went over oceans I could build some nice looking supports for it. I had an idea for using this as a transport hub and having airships be able to dock at whatever I built. Made sense to me since you wouldn't want big balloons floating around a city with all the pointy stuff in them.

The glass slots in the sides are for elevators and I raised the floor level by 10 blocks directly under it so it gives me more scope for adding elevations to the park area around it. I might lower it down again or not depending on how I want the water/park around it to go. The idea for the building is for airships to slot into the gap between the 2 sides of the tower which I made rounded for the balloons + pointy things = badtimes reason. I want an airport terminal functioning set of rooms above the rails, between the 2 towers but I'm not sure what shape to make them atm.

It's got a lot of work to be done on it but at least it has given me a footprint for what is going there and I can start thinking about how to work a park and river/s around it.

Week 5 Goals - Add floors and get the tower in a finished enough state that I can work out what materials I will need for it. Figure out what I want to do with the rivers I need in the bottom of the hole and how to work terrain around it.
wesleyearl123
Architect
Architect

Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:37 pm

Have some cheesy confidence
"Never give up"
"You are good enough to believe it"
"Inhale Confidence, Exhale Doubt"
Owner of McTidgeys
Zapperzz99
Engineer
Engineer
CPU: AMD FX-8320
RAM: Vengeance 8gb
Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46
GPU: GTX 760 Windforce
Display: Asus 21.5 & Asus 24"

Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:35 pm

Dam! (lol) This is coming together nicely already :)
Mozino
Architect
Architect

Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:19 pm

Week 5 - The quartz is strong with this one

Week 5 Goals - Add floors and get the tower in a finished enough state that I can work out what materials I will need for it. Figure out what I want to do with the rivers I need in the bottom of the hole and how to work terrain around it.

I started off by remaking the base for the tower on the server, since I wanted to make it a little higher anyway and I'd get some sweet sweet rennies by working on it on the server instead of singleplayer. I've been using this pretty neat tool to generate the shape since I'm not smart enough to work out a //generate formula for the shape I wanted http://oranj.io/blog/VoxelSphereGenerator. Using a bezier curve rotated around the z axis I fiddled with the curve until it looked about right. Took a while to make since I wanted the base to be 60 layers high but having 2 monitors saved me a lot of alt+tabbing. Added the side towers and I was back to where I was on singleplayer.

Next up was a waiting area for commuters. I thought it would be good to have it between where the airships dock and trains will arrive since it will allow people to see when their flight/train has arrived. Also this would tie the two sides of the tower together and make it look more solid.

With just the waiting area in place it looked a little empty so I added a cross brace thing above and below it which seems to have balanced it out a little. Also added the boarding platforms for the airships at the top and added floors to the lifts on the sides of the tower to link it all up. The platforms and braces need some work, I mostly added them in just to see if the proportions were ok.

Next up working out where rivers would go. Not sure if I should link the waterfall on one side with the water from the dam since it means using up most of the space just for these. I added in a couple of supports for the bridge since they would impact where cliffs could go. I want to keep the rivers and forest area fairly natural looking since I think it would contrast well with the very geometric shapes of everything else. The waterfall I might cut back further away from the hole so I have more room and it doesn't crowd the tower too much. I'm not going to bother making this look good on creative since it's a lot of time to spend and I only need a rough idea for now.

So it's going ok, I want to get the tower finished on creative this week so I can start building on survival. The shopping list for materials is pretty insane though. Current count for the tower is 434 stacks of quartz block, 145 stacks of planks, 118 stacks of glass block. And that's before I fill out the base layer with floors and rooms so yea, lots of nether ahead I guess.

Week 6 Goals - Finish tower on creative and get at least the quartz and planks needed so I can start building on survival the following week.
Mozino
Architect
Architect

Mon May 02, 2016 4:39 pm

Week 6 - HogQuartz

Week 6 Goals - Finish tower on creative and get at least the quartz and planks needed so I can start building on survival the following week.

Started with gathering the quartz as I figured it would take the most amount of time. I wasn't wrong. Why do pigmen always like to hang out on the juiciest quartz ore that I want to mine? 15hrs and a few pick repairs later I had 9 double chests of quartz block. I wanted to get at least the exterior done on the creative version of the tower so I could start building the following week. Added slots to the sides, put in a basic design for the rail bridge which I think looks pretty nice with the light coming through the stair blocks and tweaked the boarding areas for the airships. The slots basically give more effect to the perspective when you see it and tidy up the interior floors a bit too.

I like it anyway. I was a bit ahead of time so I thought I'd start doing the base of the tower on survival.

Took me about 12hrs copying this from creative block by block. Looks great I thought. Of course being excited about finally getting to build something on survival and this being me, something was bound to go wrong. I did check it was facing the correct direction before I started, right? right?! No. West and East are apparently not the same thing in the map world. So two steps forward, but unfortunately one of my feet is now in something brown, sticky, and not chocolate pudding. Classic Moz.

Week 7 Goals - Underp the tower base and start again, this time holding the map the right way up. Get the base and tower exterior basic shape done. Probably wont get much else done this week as I'm having some issues with my hands and arms spasming and it's not easy to build stuff when you don't know what your hands are going to do next.
Zapperzz99
Engineer
Engineer
CPU: AMD FX-8320
RAM: Vengeance 8gb
Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46
GPU: GTX 760 Windforce
Display: Asus 21.5 & Asus 24"

Mon May 09, 2016 1:08 am

Once again this is coming along quite nicely :D Hope those spasms go away
Mozino
Architect
Architect

Mon May 09, 2016 7:40 pm

Week 7 - dederp de derp

Week 7 Goals - Underp the tower base and start again, this time holding the map the right way up. Get the base and tower exterior basic shape done.

So started off trying to wipe out any evidence of my slight error from last week (yea I realise that could be hard since I posted it on here). Took 2hrs which to be honest wasn't as bad as I expected with all the glass and it being a weird shape. Probably lost a few stacks of quartz along the way but whatever. Instead of trying to copy it from creative my using screenshots of the outside and squinting a lot at them, I thought it would be easier this time to do it in horizontal sections like this one

Replaced the quartz with gold blocks to make it easier on my eyes counting how many blocks I needed for each section. Overall it wasn't much quicker than the first time I made it on survival, but it was a lot less brain work doing it section by section. Also I made a slight temporary addition to the hole so I don't forget which way I'm facing. So long as I remember it's an E and not a sideways W I should be ok. Famous last words.

So the basic exterior shape is done, the waiting room area is in place and side walls of the tower are mostly filled. I made a slight change to the plank pillars up each side of it so it's 3 blocks wide because I would like to put some lights in there, preferably that flashed in sequence going up to the top of the tower, but I'm not sure how feasible that is given the lack of space behind them to fit redstone. Hands are still a bit twitchy so a week of thinking and fiddling instead of digging stuff is probably good anyway.

Week 8 Goals - Add floors and ceilings to the waiting area and lifts, work out how I want the tower sides to be lit and build the bridge platform at least as far as the hole perimeter.
Mozino
Architect
Architect

Tue May 17, 2016 10:17 pm

Week 8 - Redstone = Witchcraft

Week 8 Goals - Add floors and ceilings to the waiting area and lifts, work out how I want the tower sides to be lit and build the bridge platform at least as far as the hole perimeter.

Started off this week trying to build the bridge platform due to it sounding like it would be less brain testing, lots of blocks, long straight lines, how hard can that get? Oh yea, it's me so of course I immediately changed it from my original creative design, made it a bit bigger and had to change some stuff I had already made.

To give my train passengers some room inside the carriages I wanted to make the track 2 blocks wider on each side. The downside to this being I then couldn't use the hoop style supports over the ocean without them being partially submerged from the higher diameter needed for them. So bridge wider = bridge higher = tower platform higher, or rollercoaster instead of train. On the upside any trains I put on it later will have a few more blocks of space inside to put seats and whatnot and by raising the platform higher it now should meet the savannah area at the end of it in a more useful way as I can run it inside a hill there and use that as a destination station.

2574 Iron blocks used for that so far, probably need a few hundred more but no rush at the moment. Time to fiddle with some interiors. The weird looking things on the walls are just a placeholder map for now since it wasn't worth the time to make a complete one while I'm still changing everything.

Train platform :

Waiting area :

The waiting area has an office type room thing in one corner and a toilet with piston door in the other. The layout is the same at the other end of the waiting areas so there's a toilet for both genders. It probably needs more work on detailing it but I hate doing interiors, they take me forever and I never feel like I've done enough in that time.

Then I got bored and got my cat a bat spawner to stare at.

I know. My phone. It sucks. Also wtf are the red lights on the screen? Am I Cylon?!

Speaking of cats, I remembered someone showing me an eye scanner in one of their builds and I found a how to build one of them things on youtube. Holy crap he must drink 4 redbulls before making those videos or I'm getting waaay too old to internet. I want to stick these doors on the rounded sections above and below the waiting areas so I can use them as control rooms for the airships and trains.

I know. My redstone. It sucks.

But it works! I still think it's witchcraft and getting it all to fit was a bit of a nightmare due to the lack of space. A few golems might have been harmed in the process but that's the price of progress, and fancy doors.

Week 9 Goals - Build all the piston doors and get the interiors all furnished and usable as rooms. Figure out how I want the bridge supports and probably add some ribs or something to it so it's more interesting. Find more iron.

Return to “Minecraft Building Convention”