Wed May 18, 2016 12:45 am

lol that bat spawner for your cat :D
wesleyearl123
Architect
Architect

Re: Moz's hole lot of trouble

Fri May 20, 2016 2:54 am

Is this some sort of diary now?
Day 6 - Johnny ate the last of the apples...
Day 7 - Alex died of starvation
Day 8 - A meteor hit us and everyone died
Owner of McTidgeys
Mozino
Architect
Architect

Tue May 24, 2016 7:53 pm

Week 9 - Failure is an option

Week 9 Goals - Build all the piston doors and get the interiors all furnished and usable as rooms. Figure out how I want the bridge supports and probably add some ribs or something to it so it's more interesting. Find more iron.

Yea, so I kinda forgot to do any of that. I put the piston doors in and spent a whole day just trying to squeeze the redstone in a little neater and I got enough iron to fill in the bridge as far as the mainland. Spent most of another day just working out how to fit redstone lights in the tower pillars so they could flash in sequence and in groups of 4 without a delay for each segment. Naturally after spending all this time I decided they looked better if they were all just on at once.

I left the over complicated redstone in so they can either flash or all be on at once using a lever to toggle between it. I think the idea for the lights was good but the graphical lag is pretty intense. Basically I'm too lazy to dig it all out of the pillars at this point. I'll probably stick a daylight sensor in somewhere so they just turn on at night.

Did an interior of sorts for the train track control room, ceiling is ok, walls and floor are meh at best. Side doors lead to a security room that can see into the entrance. That table thing in the middle is supposed to be a map of the area with the train line running through it and armor stands representing the tower in the middle.

wesleyearl123 wrote:Is this some sort of diary now?
Day 6 - Johnny ate the last of the apples...
Day 7 - Alex died of starvation
Day 8 - A meteor hit us and everyone died
Pretty much. It's mostly just to keep me motivated. I have a list of ideas but I'm horrible at building them and the to do list just keeps getting longer since it takes me forever to build something. Spent 6hrs yesterday just trying to get a door to open for 3 ticks longer for example. 2hrs trying to decide if I should put a pillar of planks in a corner just so I could put a row of stair blocks around a single room. Writing some goals for each week at least gives me some hope of achieving something instead of feeling even more useless when I see the ever growing to do list.

Week 10 Goals - Bored of being stuck inside little rooms. Gonna tackle the dam I want to make, probably on creative first. Decide on what materials and get a basic shape for it done.
judge817
Architect
Architect

Fri May 27, 2016 10:16 am

wow looks amazing moz good job :)
Mozino
Architect
Architect

Mon May 30, 2016 5:13 am

Week 10 - 1 step forward, 1 month back

Week 10 Goals - Bored of being stuck inside little rooms. Gonna tackle the dam I want to make, probably on creative first. Decide on what materials and get a basic shape for it done.

The dam shape was pretty easy. Started with a stone superflat world, marked out the hole diameter, used the ellipsoid selector to carve out a gradually larger domed hole until it touched the base of another marker post. Selected a 1 block radius wider ellipse and copied that out. Sliced off the section I needed and stuck it in the hole. Stone brick seems the best choice since I'd used most other suitable blocks in the rest of the build. Tried a few different shapes for water outlets but nothing looks right yet.

I was planning on having the footbridges cross the hole diagonally but that would have made them quite wide and gave me too many problems when they met the tower. Worked out they could meet the base of the lift shafts if the curve of the base was right. Also played around with the bridge supports a little. This is as far as I got on creative.

Back on survival, I'd probably have to remake the base again but to be honest that's the least of my issues. Since the foot bridges would meet the tower, the height of the rooms inside the base of it was determined by where the bridges would meet it. Originally with the footbridges diagonally meeting the tower it didn't interfere with the lifts but now they would run right through them which I hated. So to get around this I needed to make the room the bridges go into higher, to allow room for stairs that would lead up to the lifts. This was all fine and dandy, except I had originally planned for each floor in the base to be half the height they would have to be with the new stair/lift arrangement. Not a problem, I've got loads of space. Except I had planned 7 floors, and now I had 3 1/2 floors which, well it doesn't work. Couldn't raise up the base to make it an even number and couldn't lower the floor enough to fit in the extra 1/2 floor due to bedrock. TLDR : I'm screwed.

Taken me 16 hours to get it all basically half way demolished, no idea how much quartz and other blocks I've lost along the way. Pretty much lost a month of building and resource collecting at this point.

Week 11 Goals - LOL. Find a game I'm good at, maybe Russian roulette.

Return to “Minecraft Building Convention”