Explanation for loss of data

Discuss anything you want about Minecraft here including our own servers
Pri
Site Admin
Site Admin

Explanation for loss of data

Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:51 pm

As you may have seen on the homepage we did have a little bit of a loss of data recently and again today we lost around 7 hours of work. You may be wondering, why Pri? Why is this happening? :(

Well after doing an investigation we found the cause was that our server has not been incrementally saving data as it should. The reason for this is prior to v1.12 of the game we used a plugin called rTriggers to run certain things on the server at specific time allotments.

rTriggers was responsible for the following:

1. Hourly announcement messages
2. God mod on login to Survival
3. Saving the server every 30 minutes.

I have emphasised the third one as that is the reason for our loss of data. Whenever the server crashed we would lose all the work you have done between the last time the server started up and the moment it crashed. If the server shutdown normally your work was saved but not if it crashed.

We did not realise (well I didn't as it was my fault, I setup rTriggers in the first place several years ago) that rTriggers was doing this duty. It was an oversight on my part, we knew that rTriggers broke when we updated to 1.12 and I recoded both the hourly announcements and god mode so that we didn't need rTriggers anymore, but I overlooked its incremental save feature.

So that is why we've been losing data, now the good news is, all of your data is still backed up in logblock, even the stuff that didn't get "saved" is still present in LogBlock so we (staff) can restore anything that has been lost, so do not worry about that.

And since we now know the cause we have put in safeguards to make sure this will not happen again and in-fact we're now incrementally saving every 5 minutes instead of the 30 minutes we were doing previously.

I am incredibly sorry that this happened but we have solved it now and hopefully things will start to smooth out. As always new versions of the game bring new and unforeseen challenges.

Thanks.

Return to “Minecraft General Discussion”