TechnoVolt
CPU: AMD FX 8320 8 core 3.5
RAM: G-skills Ripjaws 4gigsx4 (16)
Motherboard: Gigabyte 990FX AM3+
GPU: EVGA Geforce GT 560ti (OC)
Display: ASUS 22" LCD monitor

Spawners OP in need of balancing

Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:05 pm

I hope that my feedback isn't taken the wrong way. That is not my intention and I am here to offer reasons why I feel the spawners available need to be fleshed out.

Spawners are extremely convenient and offer the players easily obtainable goods. The problem with that is it takes away from the economy and the survival aspect of minecraft.

I agree that having some spawners are okay but it should be of those spawners who naturally exist in the minecraft world with a few exceptions on others.

Spawners that should stay....

zombie
skeleton
spider (both types)
zombie pigmen
witch
slime

endermen, ghasts, and wither skeletons should be hunted normally given the fact that they offer rarer drops

all other spawners which have not been listed should be removed from spawner creation. Adding in all mobs passive and aggressive takes away from the survival aspect of minecraft. Cows, chickens, pigs, wolves, ocelots, etc should remain PVE and require player interactions.

Benefits to removing these spawners

creates PVE player interaction
allows players to build automation and semi-automation machines to breed/cook/kill
helps balance and maintain economic structure.

If everything is easy and handed to players they will not be interested in remaining on the server. They will get bored quickly and leave do to the lack of a goal oriented content. I feel that players working for what they get will result in player accomplishment and satisfaction.

On my next topic I will give my opinions about the admin shop and why it is cutting out a more vital player drive economy. As well as the reasons as to balancing availability and costs.
Pri
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Spawners OP in need of balancing

Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:24 pm

My opinion on this is that I like having spawners around because it allows players to create intricate farms that use the spawners. Auto slaughtering and cooking of foods and so forth.

However I'm not against limiting their availability a little.

As for the admin shop, you'll notice that the pricing there is quite high. It has been programmed in such a way that the prices fluctuate based on demand but have hard limits for both minimum and maximum pricing.

This creates a situation where for example tree logs are priced at R2.49 per unit whilst players are selling them at R0.15 per unit on the auctions. A much better deal. The shop is our baseline so that rennies have a worth, there is always something to buy with your money even if the Auctions were empty.

But the shop is priced high to help players compete against it. Also you may notice that the shop is mostly selling base materials. We try not to sell items which have to be crafted, smelted or cooked. There are some exceptions to this like the coloured glasses and clays but that is just to offer more variety for building and again the prices are high to drive players to undercut the shops pricing.

I do not want to compete with players with the Admin Shop. I do however want it to offer items players don't want to craft, cant craft in large enough quantities etc and I want the shop to be priced higher, always.
TechnoVolt

Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:39 pm

Pri wrote:My opinion on this is that I like having spawners around because it allows players to create intricate farms that use the spawners. Auto slaughtering and cooking of foods and so forth.

However I'm not against limiting their availability a little.

As for the admin shop, you'll notice that the pricing there is quite high. It has been programmed in such a way that the prices fluctuate based on demand but have hard limits for both minimum and maximum pricing.

This creates a situation where for example tree logs are priced at R2.49 per unit whilst players are selling them at R0.15 per unit on the auctions. A much better deal. The shop is our baseline so that rennies have a worth, there is always something to buy with your money even if the Auctions were empty.

But the shop is priced high to help players compete against it. Also you may notice that the shop is mostly selling base materials. We try not to sell items which have to be crafted, smelted or cooked. There are some exceptions to this like the coloured glasses and clays but that is just to offer more variety for building and again the prices are high to drive players to undercut the shops pricing.

I do not want to compete with players with the Admin Shop. I do however want it to offer items players don't want to craft, cant craft in large enough quantities etc and I want the shop to be priced higher, always.
The passive mob spawners are a little over powered in the fact that players dont have to do anything as far as interaction. Breeding being the main concern. Players should have to "interact" with some sort of survival aspect. Otherwise it doesnt feel like survival but more like a boring robot experience. There are ways to create semi-automatic machines that will do the same thing but will require some player interaction in order for the process to proceed. I do however dont think its a big deal as breeding is only one step that really change it from auto to semi-auto so Im okay with how it is.

As far as the admin shop. Im cool with it as long as it continues to rise as players buy from it where player shops will always have the better deal. Thank you for explaining how that process works Pri, your answers have been very helpful and I appreciate your patients and understanding.
Pri
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:42 pm

You're not wrong in that the game play has to be challenging to be fun or people will get bored and leave. But I feel as though there is a lot that can be done with spawners with regards to factory building that they become something that is a net benefit instead of a detractor.

However I do think they could be a little rarer.
TechnoVolt

Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:35 pm

Pri wrote:You're not wrong in that the game play has to be challenging to be fun or people will get bored and leave. But I feel as though there is a lot that can be done with spawners with regards to factory building that they become something that is a net benefit instead of a detractor.

However I do think they could be a little rarer.
Maybe only provide them through eggs? Or legendary cards with a cool down?
wannsa
Legendary Crafter
Legendary Crafter

Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:46 am

I quite like the balance of spawners. I've enjoyed making several farms; both using for example a guardian temple area and using spawners. The great thing about having spawners around is! I don't have to use alot of space for giant farms. By automating my cow and sheep farms it keeps the animal count low around my area so I can have my farm more for looks than needing this big farm just so I have enough space to breed a bunch of cows because I hit the breed limit, but I don't want to breed a few cows and kill, breed and kill. The new combat system has really put me off killing much of anything. The less I need to use it, the more fun it is for me.

I also like the overall feeling of the server. It's the first time I've never had to really worry about gaining materials to build whatever I want. I know I can get the mats from a number of different ways. We have the admin shop, player trading, quick shops, spawn market, and player auctions. I've been here nearly a year now and minecraft will always have it's highs and lows for me.
Sometimes I don't feel like building, sometimes I don't feel like gathering material. The point is, I don't want to shift the balance to hardcore survival too much. I just want to come and build and chat, maybe dig around for stuff under my area. Just wanted to put in an opinion for the other side, because I don't feel the need for too much balancing in the direction of a more survivalist minecraft.

Return to “Minecraft General Discussion”