This Server needs to grow

Discuss anything you want about Minecraft here including our own servers
soundwafflez

This Server needs to grow

Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:10 pm

We need ideas for getting our server some more regular players.
tomisafish
Supporter
Supporter
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.2GHz
RAM: Mushkin 8GB 1600MHz
Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Gene
GPU: EVGA GTX 670
Display: LG IPS226 | Generic 4:3 thing.
Cooling: Open water loop

Re: This Server needs to grow

Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:21 pm

soundwafflez wrote:We need ideas for getting our server some more regular players.
  1. Prepare for 1.8. (In game and out.)
  2. Update as soon as possible.
  3. Advertise EVERYWHERE (make some videos?)
  4. Get 1+ friends to play.
  5. Hope for the best.
skoch26
Master Crafter
Master Crafter

Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:56 am

I think in order for a better 1.8 experience, we might need to reset the smp map. Now I know 99.9% of you will strongly disagree with me on that, but unless we do that, we will have to go hunting for new chunks and hope there is a stronghold, abandoned mine, or what have you. But then we also need to figure out what to regarding the new creative mode and adventure mode. Someone might have a quick solution for this an I defiantly hope so. But no doubt 1.8 will bring more people.
tomisafish
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:38 am

skoch26 wrote:I think in order for a better 1.8 experience, we might need to reset the smp map. Now I know 99.9% of you will strongly disagree with me on that, but unless we do that, we will have to go hunting for new chunks and hope there is a stronghold, abandoned mine, or what have you. But then we also need to figure out what to regarding the new creative mode and adventure mode. Someone might have a quick solution for this an I defiantly hope so. But no doubt 1.8 will bring more people.
In SMP we can just migrate in a certain direction.
I think we will be keeping the Creative map.
Pri
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:35 am

When 1.8 hits I will go far far far away from our current position and place a Stargate for users to experience new randomly generated areas utilising new 1.8 features such as ruins.

As for Creative, we will switch to use the official Creative Mode on our Creative server. The map will not need to be altered to accommodate this change.

I know that we don't have a lot of players but that's due to the other servers being very competitive. We don't have a wiki (and even if we did it would be blank) we don't offer game plugins our server doesn't have unique features that other servers don't have. It is difficult for players to justify playing on our server when there are great alternatives out there.

Also we have added over 1000 players to our game whitelist but where are they? - Most are not playing Minecraft anymore they got bored of the game and have stopped playing but everyone always comes back for a few days after major updates so I would expect an uptick in participation once we upgrade to 1.8, however that won't last more than a week or 2 then it will be mostly devoid of life again.

I know it sucks but I've tried everything within the constraints of my time. I setup a youtube channel, I made the forum, I made the topic, I posted screenshots and videos I launched a 2nd server (SMP) to give more variety to our players. I've also opened a Garrys Mod and Terraria server to try and make our 'community' more attractive to sandbox game players. I gave the youtube details to all the other admins and mods to post videos but unfortunately none of them have done so, I'm not angry that they haven't (even though they asked for the password to post videos) just disappointed.
skoch26
Master Crafter
Master Crafter

Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:36 pm

We could make original server mods like voxel does. Ive made a few joke mods on my own time, and it's not super hard and could be cool. Wether they would be super popular is still in question, but I think it could attract somemore attention.
tomisafish
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:39 pm

skoch26 wrote:We could make original server mods like voxel does. Ive made a few joke mods on my own time, and it's not super hard and could be cool. Wether they would be super popular is still in question, but I think it could attract somemore attention.
Post some stuff about ideas you've had and how people can help and learn then. :D
skoch26
Master Crafter
Master Crafter

Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:41 am

Well for those who would like to help, I highly suggest having some programming experience in Java and/or C++. Otherwise this type of stuff can be quite frustrating. I'm proficient enough in a few languages so that I know what to look for and what to change. For those who have some experience, these tutorials are fantastic http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/968 ... als-21511/. You can practice on your own for a bit and figure out how to run your mods and such. Now as for my ideas; I can't say I have many good ones, but we can start out basic like maybe making a server exclusive block/tool/weapon and see how things go from there. Hopefully we can get enough willing hands to maybe even get to our own version of VS or WE, but that's in a hopeful future. I hope that at least I helped inspire future programmers, if not a renegades coding team :D
Pri
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:04 am

As you guys know I write code day to day. And I do release mods for WinMX on this very forum. But if you look at my releases they are very far apart 5-6 months between each of them. If it isn't obvious by my absence on our IRC, our game servers, this forum - I'm very busy and I just don't have the time it would require to run this community to a high standard like the other servers. I certainly do not have time to be creating and releasing mods for Bukkit that's for damn sure.

Our servers are pretty casual and there's not much I can do to fix that. I'm confident that if we had constantly released videos on youtube we would at-least get an engaged audience who we could get to join our servers but again I don't have time to post many of those, although I will try. All the staff here have the Youtube login details so please post videos even if its not about Minecraft post other game videos, playthroughs of games or whatever it is you want to show off.
Pri
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:51 pm

I'm going to post a Dead Island play video on the channel. Probably today.

Return to “Minecraft General Discussion”