Dedicated Web Shop Thread

Discuss anything you want about Minecraft here including our own servers
Pri
Site Admin
Site Admin

Dedicated Web Shop Thread

Tue May 14, 2013 1:34 pm

So our shop went live today for all players and I thought it would be a good idea to make a dedicated thread for the shop which I can keep updated with new changes.

So first thing's first, here is the URL to the shop: http://shop.renmx.com/

It currently features two components, the Ricky Shop and the Real Money Exchange. Pretty obvious naming, one lets you buy things with our in-game currency dubbed Rickies and the other side lets you buy things with real money.

Now going forward we realise that people want more avenues to gain ranks. Submitting Builds and Purchasing Ranks simply isn't enough. Some people would like to play the in-game economy and providing you with a rich economy is important to us. We want Rickies to mean something, more than just a way to get blocks.

So very soon we will be offering the ability for you to purchase a rank of your choice with Rickies. The cost will be high as not to dilute donation worth. For example it currently costs $5 USD to purchase the Apprentice rank. It also costs $5 USD to purchase 7,500 Rickies. Ergo the cost to purchase the Apprentice rank in Rickies should be 7,500.

This is the way we intend to go about implementing rank purchases and this gives you the users more choice. You don't need to purchase ranks, you don't even need to purchase them with just Real Money or Rickies. You can do it half and half. Maybe you have a shop in-game that sells items to players and you've raised 2,500 Rickies. Or perhaps you've voted over a period of 6 days. That would give you a substantial amount of Rickies but not quite enough to purchase the Apprentice Rank, well we already allow you to purchase Rickies with real money, so you can finance some of your Rank purchase with Rickies and the rest with Real Money by purchasing more Rickies.

Now I want to make something clear from the get go, the Shop is in Beta, it is a brand new offering and it is something we have never done before. It will not be a stagnant page. Our intention is to keep it updated with very frequent updates giving you new things to purchase including new blocks added to the game but also abilities in a similar vain to the six already on offer.

We are already discussing the possibility of offering Mob Spawning, not spawn eggs but actually spawning a mob at your (or your gift recipient's) location. With 1.6 Horses will be added to the game, wouldn't you love to instant-spawn a mountable horse when you're stuck in the middle of nowhere or setting off on a long voyage?

Because this shop is completely custom written by us we have total control and don't need to rely on plugin authors. This has a huge benefit in that we can offer services for purchase that are just not possible with pre-packaged cookie-cutter store fronts like BuyCraft.

And one last thing I wanted to discuss is security. With Rickies having such a high value on our server now it is a commodity that you want to make sure is secure. We understand that some of you have siblings who play Minecraft and so it is paramount that only you can use the shop for your own account. But I also know you're all sick of registering for things and remembering login information. That is why the new shop is incredibly smart on player detection. Not only does it detect you automatically but to confirm it is actually you (and not merely someone within your home network using the shop) we send you a single-use, time-expiring four digit authentication code.

This code is part of our two-step authentication system. Put simply the site checks you in two ways. The first, that you're using an IP we know has accessed our Minecraft Survival Server at a previous time. And two that you are logged in to your account, receive the four digit code and enter it correctly in to the website.

Once you enter this code, it is revoked from the system meaning even if someone else has that four digit code it will no longer work for logging in to your account. Each code is also unique to the account it was created for so someone else cannot simply use a code generated for you to access someone else's account.

And finally on the page you'll notice there are two Logout buttons "Here" and "Everywhere". I understand that many of you play from School and Work but also at Home. It would be a pain in the butt if I only allowed you to stay logged in at the shop from one location so I allow you to login from an unlimited amount of locations but just in-case you forget to log out somewhere and someone else starts accessing your account you can instantly click the Logout Everywhere button and all your access tokens for all the computers that accessed the store under your account will be revoked.

Those are all the security features currently in place but I will be adding (probably tomorrow) a way for you to select which kinds of gifts you can receive and also a purchase log which will enable you to keep an eye on what is being purchased with your account and where those purchases were sent (In the event they were gifted). This will enable you to keep track and allow you to dispute any fraudulent activity. Staff members will also have access to these purchase logs to confirm what you're seeing.

Thanks for reading and as always feel free to discuss anything I've said and make suggestions for which special activities you would like to see for purchase in the shop.
NorwegianCraft
Architect
Architect
CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-3570K
RAM: Kingston DDR3 HyperX blu 16GB
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LX, Socket-1155
GPU: GTX 670 2GB Windforce
Display: 2x AOC 24" LED G2460PQU
Cooling: Air

Re: Dedicated Web Shop Thread

Wed May 15, 2013 6:12 pm

Looking good :)
Pri
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fri May 17, 2013 12:45 am

Prices of Diamonds have been changed both in-game and on the web shop. You now receive a single Diamond Ore Block for 64 Rickies. You are advised to use a high level fortune pick on these blocks to get your moneys worth.

The Webshop was also altered the other day to include two new special blocks down the bottom next to sponges.

The XP purchase has also been altered so instead of setting your XP Level to 50 it merely gives you the equivalent XP required to take you from level 0 to level 50. I made this change so users cannot grief other users who may have a higher XP rating than them and "gifting" them 50 levels which would have taken their XP level down instead of increasing it.

I have also modified the /fly purchase, it now simply tells you that you can use /fly instead of automatically setting you to fly. This is to make sure it doesn't bypass our anti-fly protection at spawn.

I have started working on the little control panel and log they look nice the log updates in real-time and overall it all just looks real nice. The problem of course is that my PC is down and I do my coding on that. So everything is sort of frozen until I can get my computer back up and running. Hopefully by next week, I sent out my power supply for a replacement yesterday.

Thanks for reading and happy shopping.
Pri
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fri May 31, 2013 9:50 pm

Update today. You can now get farming supplies from the web shop including saplings, seeds and flowers to make your farm look pretty.
Pri
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:41 pm

Shop now allows you to spawn friendly mobs at your location (or that of your gift recipient) and the amount of rickies you have in the top of the page now updates live. Not only when you make purchases by when you vote or spend cash in-game that will still update on the page.

There is also a new button you'll see on the far left called "Options & Log" this will detail your purchases and allow you to select which kinds of gifts you will accept from other players. I've not yet activated the gift setting section (which is why it's greyed out) but it will be working later today or tomorrow, the log however is fully functional already and updates in real-time.
Pri
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:38 am

More friendly mobs have been added today including Mushroom Cows, Squids, Bats and Villagers.

Also added today are hostile mobs including Skeletons, Spiders, Zombies, Blazes, Ghasts and so on.

I've also added in a safety feature so you can now no longer purchase things for yourself or others if the player who will receive the purchase is not currently online in our Survival server.

And finally the gift options menu now works too so you can turn off and on the types of gifts you receive. By default hostile mobs are off to make sure that you can't grief people by spawning hostile mobs to their location.
Pri
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:28 pm

I've added a new UI element to the shop, if you click on the blue names of each section in the shop that section will collapse so you can hide stuff you're not so interested in. Right now those collapses do not save meaning each time you refresh the page you need to collapse the sections you don't want again. But when I have some time today or tomorrow I will add server-side saving of your collapse preferences so they will be accessible to all the computers you're logged in to the shop on and over different sessions.

Thanks and feel free to try it out it works quite smooth.
Pri
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:52 pm

Some more updates today, the gift section now has a popup which explains you should clear that box after you're done sending gifts and I've added a convenient clear button to the right. I've also moved some stuff around so it feels less cluttered around the top area.

We support Chrome as the lead browser for the shop followed by Safari and then Firefox. The shop has no support for Internet Explorer however we are not restricting its use you may find some graphical glitches when using IE but please do not report these, simply switch to a standards compliant browser such as Chrome.
Psico45
Master Crafter
Master Crafter

Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:58 pm

I'm so close to tier 3 and it will probably take me like 3 more days... It's a bit stressful XD
Pri
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:03 pm

The shop now remembers which parts of the store you have collapsed. I'd like to thank AdrianL for the javascript for this, without him I'd still be scratching my head trying to get those collapse sections to both submit a form and collapse.

I'd also like to thank Vusys for finding two medium-risk and one low-risk security vulnerability with the shop, the two medium-risk vulnerabilities have already been fixed and I am working on the 3rd low-risk vulnerability right now. I definitely would have overlooked the two medium-risk vulnerabilities had he not pointed them out to me.

Return to “Minecraft General Discussion”