Raid Calculator

Discuss all kinds of software here including apps, games and operating systems. You can also share software guides and receive help for your software in this section.
DoctorJ999
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Raid Calculator

Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:29 am

whats the best RAID format
Pri
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:15 am

There really isn't a best RAID mode. They are made for different tasks.

RAID0 for example is the fastest, but it is also the highest prone to failure and data loss.
RAID5 is fast but not as fast as RAID0 and offers some redundancy (one disk can fail at any time without data loss)
RAID6 is slower than RAID5 but offers even more redundancy (two disks can fail at the same time without losing data)

So basically you have to choose a RAID mode based on what you need, extreme speed or data security. For our minecraft server I use two SSD's in RAID0 for extreme performance but I also backup those two SSD's to a RAID6 array every night using a simple script.

There are also some other RAID modes not listed on here such as RAID-Z which offers 3 disk failure support. Lots of different modes for all different tasks.
redking

Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:37 pm

Hi,
would you be willing to sell the code? Or create an embedded version that we can put on our website?
Cheers
Pri
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:44 pm

Sure if you wanna buy it PM me :)

Return to “Software Centre”