Cryptocurrency

Post your computer builds here and ask for hardware assistance, buying advice or anything hardware related for computers, smart phones, tablets or other electrical devices.
IceDevice
Supporter
Supporter
CPU: AMD FX 8120
RAM: 8GB of some shit brand
Motherboard: Some shitty gigabyte board
GPU: Zotac GTX 970
Display: 24" Samsung thing
Cooling: Air

Cryptocurrency

Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:28 pm

I've been hearing more and more about Cryptocurrency, mostly Bitcoin and Litecoin, and it's piquing my curiosity on how it works.

It's crazy, this stuff. One of the largest, or probably THE largest Bitcoin mining industry in North America makes about ~$8m a month. That's what, $266k per day? Some people don't make that in three years. Is mining some of these worth it? More specifically, Litecoin?
I've taken a bit of an interest in learning more things about Cryptocurrencies. Would anyone think it's smart for a 'young one like me' to begin mining, while things like this might be profitable, and investing in something with it? Or just drop the thought altogether? If you're going to answer to me why I should drop the thought, please give a fully fledged reason, with enough detail for me to understand why it is or is not worth it for me to do this, and your opinions on it. You don't learn that way, and learning is what I'm aiming for.

At the moment:
1 LTC = $8 CAD
1 BTC = $669 CAD

And believe it or not [this is directed towards Rav :P] Dogecoin has become a fairly populator Cryptocurrency, from what I have seen. Dogecoin being the second result when searched "how to mine" on Google.

How long would it take for my desktop computer to mine 1 LTC would you predict? I'll list the specs I assume are necessary.

CPU: AMD FX-8120 8 Core Processor @ 3.1GHz
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series
Power: XG-H600 [600 Watts]
8GB RAM
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Cooling

I don't have a GPU cooler so yep. If there are any other things to list, tell me.

I think that's it for my questions. If I have more I'll be sure to ask. Any replies appreciated!
~Ice
The only difference between dicking around and science...
is writing it down.
NorwegianCraft
Architect
Architect
CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-3570K
RAM: Kingston DDR3 HyperX blu 16GB
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LX, Socket-1155
GPU: GTX 670 2GB Windforce
Display: 2x AOC 24" LED G2460PQU
Cooling: Air

Re: Cryptocurrency

Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:54 pm

Lmao your parents pay the elictricuty bill, go for it my young one.
freakboy31
Supporter
Supporter
CPU: i7-7700HQ
RAM: 16GB
Motherboard: -
GPU: GTX 1050Ti 4GB
Display: -
Cooling: -

Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:09 am

do you have bitcoin wallet?
I'm SUPPORTER and was the first Asian and youngest staff member at age 13.
freakboy31
Epic Crafter since Nov 2013 / Server moderator from Jun. 2012 - Oct. 2017

Populus Magnus nation
ottermanuk
Architect
Architect
CPU: i5 3570k
RAM: Corsair Vengeance
Motherboard: ASrock Z77 Extreme4
GPU: Twin Frozr R9 280X
Display: Some crappy 1080p
Cooling: Arctic Cooling Pro 7

Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:03 pm

NorwegianCraft wrote:Lmao your parents pay the elictricuty bill, go for it my young one.

Butsrs mining most of these established currencies is pretty fruitless, the payout that you get against the money for electricity, not to mention running your GPU 100% most of the time (it'll probably not last as long as it should) is pretty poor
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198024261005]Image[/url]

Return to “Hardware Hangout”