RAMPAGE III

Post your computer builds here and ask for hardware assistance, buying advice or anything hardware related for computers, smart phones, tablets or other electrical devices.
Pri
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: RAMPAGE III

Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:38 am

I was going through some old pictures today and found one I took when I was putting the EK Waterblocks on my GTX 780's I thought some of you might be interested in what the GPU die looks like and the memory so here is the photo :)

These are semi-cleaned. You can see some thermal paste around the sides of the die. But it's the main part that counts. It was very tedius but I did eventually get the thermal paste off the sides too.

These pictures show the GPU Die in the centre, this contains 7.1 Billion transistors and 2,880 CUDA cores. 2304 of those cores are activated on this card, the rest are deactivated by NVIDIA.

The little black chips around the GPU Die are RAM chips. This card contains 3GB of GDDR5 memory made by Samsung. On top of some of the memory are thermal pads which I had to cut to size to place on the memory chips.
Stephanie
Legendary Crafter
Legendary Crafter
CPU: C2E 9300 2.53 @ 3.06
RAM: 4GB @ 1333MHz
Motherboard: NVIDIA 730i
GPU: GTX 280M SLI
Display: 17" 1920x1200

Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:09 am

Okay so if I knew what it was Im sure I be like oo ! but this whole... transistors, CUDA, GDDR5, NVIDIA, R2D2, to me a Microchip is What's left in the bag when the normal chips are gone
BUT it does look fancy!
Pri
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:41 pm

So as you guys prob read in IRC and stuff. I had some problems with this build.

1. The pump stopped turning on when the computer was started
2. The CPU Block was corroded in three areas and needed to be replaced
3. The tubing I was using (XSPC) leeched plasticiser in to the water loop which I believe caused the pump damage

So I replaced the CPU Block, I replaced the Tubing and I replaced the pump. Here is the new CPU Block and tubing:

Sorry for the purple hue over the image it is due to my iPhones Sapphire lense.

When I changed the tubing I removed a whole bunch of 45 degree angle fittings I was using. I just never liked them in the build so this time to get the bends I wanted out of the tubing I purchased a lot more tubing than I needed (4 meters total) and I was able to cut out sections which had the exact bends I needed out of it. It's always best to go with the bend when doing tubing so you don't put strain on any of your components that the tubing is connecting to. I'm really happy with how it turned out looks great.

Also that new CPU Block I'm using is 100% Copper now instead of a Copper block with Nickel Coating. This should last longer and shouldn't corrode like my previous one did. It was the Nickel coating that was coming off that one.
Pri
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:41 pm

Better pictures of things.

skoch26
Master Crafter
Master Crafter

Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:14 am

Slight bump, but just wanted some input. I ordered the Corsair 750D for my build (the size down from yours) and I have been reading that the side panels sometimes have had trouble fitting and the panel window is a little flimsy. Have you had any issues with the case so far? It looks spectacular by the way Pri.
Pri
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:06 am

No problems with my side doors. They fit perfectly. But keep in mind the cases are different so I don't know anything about the 750D's side doors.
Pri
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:23 am

Decided to buy some upgrades today. I've ordered a RoG Swift monitor and NVIDIA 3D Vision 2 Glasses (Wireless).

The new monitor is one of the G-Sync ones, it's the flagship in-fact for the technology. 144Hz refresh rate, 3D support, G-Sync support, 2560x1440 resolution, 27" panel size. razer thin bezel (the plastic around the display edge). Really superb apparently. I've not seen one in person to say so. It uses a TN panel which isn't great because IPS is superior in viewing angles and colour reproduction. But again according to reviews this is the best TN panel anyone has ever seen and it shares some IPS features, for example it's an 8-bit panel like IPS instead of 6-bit like TN usually are. This means it can display more colours simultaneously like IPS can.

The viewing angles on it (when viewing the display from the side or above) aren't great. IPS wins there hands down with a full 175 degree viewing angle without any colour shifting but as I'll be sitting dead centre on the display anyway it won't make any difference. Apparently this display begins to show colour shifting at 45 degree angles which is not how I sit when looking at it anyway.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of 3D I've tried it many times and it's okay but not something I feel is a must have. But as this display features it I decided to grab the NVIDIA 3D Vision 2 wireless glasses to go with it and see what gaming in 3D is like as I've only ever seen films in 3D and not games.

Both the screen and glasses are coming tomorrow (25th of March) so I'll post my thoughts on G-Sync and 3D Vision for anyone interested. I'm sure some of you will be curious about G-Sync I know I am.
NorwegianCraft
Architect
Architect
CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-3570K
RAM: Kingston DDR3 HyperX blu 16GB
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LX, Socket-1155
GPU: GTX 670 2GB Windforce
Display: 2x AOC 24" LED G2460PQU
Cooling: Air

Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:52 pm

That's like a 1000$ in norway just for that one monitor.. jebus
Pri
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:05 pm

It is very expensive. Other 2560x1440 monitors are half the price of the Rog Swift. But when you think about how Monitors last a really long time this is quite a good investment. My current monitor is a 3007WFP 30" 2560x1600 which I bought in 2008. That's already 7 years ago. I paid 30% more for that monitor than I have done for the RoG Swift so I'm glad that high resolution and large sized displays are going down in price.
Pri
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:08 pm

By the way if anyone is curious why I didn't buy a 4K display which are actually more affordable than the swift by about 30%. They just plain suck in Windows. It doesn't have the right software capabilities to scale applications properly. Some windows become huge, some become tiny, some buttons within applications are mis-sized, mis-placed and have their text outside of the button box.

It's just a total clusterfuck right now. It will in my opinion take quite a long time before Windows gets good enough 4K support to make a display of that resolution worthwhile. That is unless you buy like a 39" ultra widescreen LG panel or something. The kind of monitor that's so physically large you don't need to use scaling at all, then it works fine.

Return to “Hardware Hangout”