RAMPAGE III

Post your computer builds here and ask for hardware assistance, buying advice or anything hardware related for computers, smart phones, tablets or other electrical devices.
Pri
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: RAMPAGE III

Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:47 pm

Got my display and 3D Vision 2 kit today.

When I first opened the display I was quite surprised by how light and thin it is compared to my older 30". The bezel around the edge is about 1/3rd the thickness of my 30" panels too.

Putting it next to my 30" panels it's quite a lot smaller. I'd say just the display part not including the bezel around the edge it's about 2" shorter. I thought at first maybe that would be hard to get used to but I fired up Payday 2, Minecraft and Team Fortress 2 and within a few minutes I acclimated to the smaller size.

With that out of the way lets get to the meat and potatoes: Picture quality. The display looks amazing. I've never seen a TN panel wich such vibrant colour. It did need calibrating as it wasn't showing the same colours as my IPS panels but afterwards it looks superb.

The viewing angles however are completely shit. Looking at the panel from above or the sides and it's just unusable. The colours change completely, from the sides it gains a pink hue from above the display looking down it goes white. Now the good news is, these angle shifts only start when you're standing up / walking towards the display. Once you're seated in front of it, even if you're sitting at a funny angle the colours are spot on and solid with no visible shift. Just like my IPS panels.

The display has a button to switch between 60Hz-120Hz-144Hz which is useful. It appears to directly talk to the graphics card to do this so you can switch frequencies in-game and set the frequency on a per-game thing in the NVIDIA control panel.

Now 120Hz and 144Hz they are epic. Truly epic. It adds so much fluidity to gameplay, makes it feel more like real life. I can't really tell a difference between 120Hz and 144Hz but I can instantly see the difference between either of those and 60Hz it's like night and day, 60Hz in games just looks crap to me now and I've not even owned this thing 12 hours yet.

G-Sync is in a word, amazing. What I just said above about 120Hz-144Hz is with G-Sync disabled. When you enable G-Sync it takes it to a whole new level. There is no more tearing when you're playing games, at all. None. It's just like you're not even playing a game it's like you're watching those 1080p@60Hz replays of games on Youtube where it's all super silky smooth with no screen tearing, but at more than double that frame rate. It honestly just looks like the same kind of motion you have in real life.

There are some downsides to G-Sync though. Firstly it only works with applications that are full screened. For me that's not really an issue as all the FPS games I play I do so fullscreen. It is a shame though because that means I won't be able to use G-Sync with Minecraft. I run that in a window, it's just more convenient. The other downside is you can't use G-Sync with 3D mode. Bit of a bummer but I suppose it was just too complicated to have both working at the same time.

So that brings me to the 3D stuff. I have a copy of Avatar in 3D and honestly it looked stunning in 3D on this display. There is a caveat though, when 3D is actually active it does lower the brightness of the display. The way the glasses work by blanking one eye then the other simply lets less light in to your eyes and so it makes the screen appear darker. I'd say it lowers the brightness of the display about 30% which is very noticeable when you first turn 3D on or off but you get used to it very quickly.

I tried some other 3D movies, ones which aren't in the same class as Avatar and I noticed quite a bit of flickering while watching those. I thought maybe the battery on the glasses was low so I re-opened Avatar and the flickering was absent so I guess just some content is more suited to this kind of active glasses 3D than others.

In games I tried the 3D mode in Team Fortress 2 and it ran really well. Oh by the way you cannot currently use 3D Vision 1 or 2 with 144Hz it has to be 120Hz. I suppose in the future NVIDIA may release a Vision 3 kit which can go above 120Hz but right now thats the limit of the current kit. This isn't a display limit of course.

So overall I've decided to keep the display and the glasses, 120-144Hz, 1ms response and G-Sync are epic and I would easily recommend this display to anyone. The 3D is nice but if you're not into it this display and the Vision 2 kit won't change your mind and I wouldn't recommend it unless you really want 3D, it's very hit or miss on Movies and the game support isn't huge. G-Sync on the other hand works with all games so it's very much a great feature.
Pri
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:58 am

Another day and I've changed my mind. The TN of this panel just isn't good enough. The colours look okay in some things then other things they just look washed out and less vibrant. Not accurate.

I've decided to return both the Monitor and the Glasses for a refund. Amazon going to pick them up tomorrow. Already stuck my older 30" back in its place and tbh I notice the input lag more now after using the G-Sync Rog Swift. That's a damn shame as G-Sync is very good as is the 144Hz refresh rate. But I really feel that colour accuracy is more important to me.

I'd still recommend this monitor if you've not used IPS before. It's definitely the best TN panel I've ever seen. My laptop is TN as-well and it's way way better than that. But if you've used a high quality IPS panel like I have for the past 7 years then it's just not good enough.
iNook
CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X
RAM: 2x 16GB TridentZ 3600MHz
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX X570-E
GPU: RTX 3080 Founder's Edition
Display: Dell S2721DGF / AOC I2769VM
Cooling: Corsair H100i Pro

Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:21 pm

I would have had the swift if you didnt want it :(

But hey, an IPS, G-Sync, 144Hz and a 4ms response time monitor from Acer is out!
The Acer Predator XB270HU. However it is a significantly more expensive than the swift...

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/27-acer- ... black-dp-u

and a review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LTHr96NueA
nul
Pri
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:05 pm

Yeah I saw that. I dunno if I'm gonna get 27" again tbh. I think I like the 30" size more.
Pri
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:20 am

Got a sweet deal on a Samsung 850 Pro 1TB today. Amazon usually has them for £364 but due to their birthday deals thing I got it for £269!

Coming tomorrow :) - Finally I can get off these 128GB SSD's that have no space left for games and apps.

iNook
CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X
RAM: 2x 16GB TridentZ 3600MHz
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX X570-E
GPU: RTX 3080 Founder's Edition
Display: Dell S2721DGF / AOC I2769VM
Cooling: Corsair H100i Pro

Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:23 pm

You are one lucky mofo, I wish I had prime x.x I'm so jealous lol, can you buy me one hahaha
nul
NorwegianCraft
Architect
Architect
CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-3570K
RAM: Kingston DDR3 HyperX blu 16GB
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LX, Socket-1155
GPU: GTX 670 2GB Windforce
Display: 2x AOC 24" LED G2460PQU
Cooling: Air

Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:13 pm

Knowing Pri he'd rather spend money on more pot, damn his monkey business.
Pri
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:57 pm

Being an adult is great, we have lots of monies.

Benchmark of my old and new SSD:

Pri
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:06 am

This is what my older 840 Pro looks like after being formatted.

It has recovered almost all of its performance by not being full to the brim.
Pri
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:33 am

Sadly my second GTX 780 has failed so I'm running with just one activated right now. Quite annoying as they're watercooled it's a chore to drain it, remove the cards, put the old coolers back on and RMA the second card. I might do it but not right now.

I've thought about just buying a GTX 980 Ti and replacing both my GTX 780's but I doubt I'll do that as Pascal the new NVIDIA architecture is coming early next year and will be the biggest jump they've ever done so I don't want to waste money on something today that'll be outdated in 6 months.

Quite an annoying time for this to occur but meh seems to be stable and running fine on just one card for the time being.

Return to “Hardware Hangout”