Mid-Late 2013 Server Upgrade

Post your computer builds here and ask for hardware assistance, buying advice or anything hardware related for computers, smart phones, tablets or other electrical devices.
Pri
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mid-Late 2013 Server Upgrade

Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:17 am

It is that time again when we go through some new server upgrades and this one is quite substantial and so I wanted to make a post about it. Before I begin all the stuff for this upgrade has been ordered today and will be arriving over the next few weeks.

The first of the upgrades is a new Solid State Disk. We are going with the Samsung 840 Pro the same model I purchased the other week which subsequently went into my desktop machine. To be clear I have ordered a second 840 Pro for the server. The one I purchased last week is staying in my desktop.

The second part of the upgrades are new Hard Drive Backplanes. The Joy-Jye ST-3051SS. I have ordered three of these which will be replacing the current piece of shit IcyDock backplanes that are in the server currently that use custom designed fans that have all failed and even after getting all six fans replaced by the manufacturer they failed again within hours.

Lastly just a cheap part are some Molex to SATA adapters for the Backplanes.

So in total this upgrade costs £492.76 aka $747.42 US Dollars.

It is my intention to have the Corsair SSD which failed last week replaced by Corsair at the earliest opportunity. The replacement SSD will then sit in its box cozy in the event that we need a replacement SSD for the server. But I think the Samsung 840 Pro will serve us well it is widely accepted as the best 2.5" SSD on the market.

I do not yet know when the upgrade will go ahead as some of the things in the order (The Backplanes specifically) have a lead time of 3 to 30 days but we aren't in a hurry. I will make an update in this thread before the upgrade is due to go ahead.

One last thing I wanted to mention is these necessary upgrades for the server have been funded completely by July's player donations alone and there is still a lot of money left over for sending back the Corsair SSD for a replacement and anything else we may need moving forward. So thank you to everyone that donated!
Skeletonrooster
Master Crafter
Master Crafter

Re: Mid-Late 2013 Server Upgrade

Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:36 am

This shows how crucial donations are to the server and community.

Thank you too everyone that has donated from the players that have donated 100's to the players that have donated £'s every little helps

And pri....... The upgrades sound great

:)
Psico45
Master Crafter
Master Crafter

Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:42 am

Indeed, Tell Mr. Fox to take pics of the bat cave's computer system. I want to see them :D
Pri
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:41 am

First part arrived today the Samsung 840 Pro SSD. Thought I'd snap a picture. The reason there is two is because I ordered one of these about a week or so ago and I stuck that one in my desktop system so I ordered a brand new one for the server which is the one closest to the camera.

The good thing about these SSD's is that they have a 5 year warranty. And once I get the Corsair replaced we will have two super fast SSD's (The 840 Pro and the Corsair) which we can swap between in the event one fails so that we are always running on an SSD while one is being replaced. The Corsair I believe has a 3 year warranty.
CraftminerX
CPU: Junk.
RAM: 4 GB Corsair DDR2
Motherboard: Also junk.
GPU: 1x NVidia GeForce 8800GT 512MB
Display: 1x 24" Acer
Cooling: Air

Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:06 pm

I want one of those... ;(
Anyway, thanks Pri and everyone who donated.
Yes, this was a completely unnecessary post. Deal with it.

Image Image
Pri
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:17 am

Sata backplanes came today. And although these are the same as my old Jou-Jye they have seen some updates. These ones appear to fit both 3.5" and 2.5" drives while my original models only supported 3.5" drives. They also have changed the plastic locking mechanism to a metal one which I'm sure will improve reliability (although none of my locks broke on my old model).

Quite happy with these can't wait to get them fitted. The last thing I need which hopefully will arrive today or tomorrow are the Molex to SATA adapters and then we will be ready to upgrade and be back on an SSD.
Psico45
Master Crafter
Master Crafter

Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:42 am

Niiiiice :)
Pri
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:01 pm

These upgrades are now complete. The new Backplanes are in, the SSD is in we are running right now from the Samsung 840 Pro for our Minecraft stuff. I did the upgrade during the internet downtime which means we don't need more downtime at a later date to do the upgrades.

Return to “Hardware Hangout”