Water Cooling Supplies

Post your computer builds here and ask for hardware assistance, buying advice or anything hardware related for computers, smart phones, tablets or other electrical devices.
DoctorJ999
Apprentice
Apprentice

Water Cooling Supplies

Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:14 pm

New Case
Tubing
Coolant
Radiator
Reservoir
CPU Block

OPTIONAL
GTX 670
NOTE: My goal before Sophmore year is to have SLI 670's both with a waterblock.
GTX670 Waterblock

Now i beleive i need like barbs and stuff? Am i correct? Could anyone fill me in on this?

CRAPPY PICTURE OF MEH CURRENT CASE, WHICH IDK WATS WRONG WITH IT, OVERCLOCKING TARD. RAM IS BEING A BITCH OR ITS MY MOTHERBOARD, OR ITS MY CPU CANT TELL.
Pri
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Water Cooling Supplies

Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:38 am

You'll need some fittings yes, there are two main types that people use. Barbs with zip ties / clamps. Which are ugly. And then compression fittings which are like what I have in my build.

Alternatively you can go for very thick tubing which negates the need for any kind of clamp or compression fitting but those aren't to my liking personally.

Something to know: All blocks, radiators and such should come with G1/4 holes. Pumps however usually do not and you may need to purchase a replacement plate for your pump to give it standard holes. So make sure you get a pump that either supports the threads you want to use (G1/4) or that you can buy a replacement top/side for to make it work. I bought a see through acrylic top for my pump so I could use standard G1/4 fittings on it. The reason pumps are like this is because they are designed for ponds and fountains, not necessarily for computers.

Then you need to decide what kind of diameter hosing and connectors you want to use. I use 3/8" Inner Diameter tubing. And for connectors I use ones which are 3/8" inner diameter and 1/2" outer diameter. The reason I use a larger outer diameter on my fittings but a slightly tighter tubing is so that it fits nice and snug and there's no leaks. If your tubing is loose you'll have leaks.

If you want to use larger tubing there is 1/2" inner diameter which I think actually looks better but it can be more difficult to use in your case due to the added material making it difficult to curve it without buckling the tubing which would cause a blockage. Now I'm by no means saying it's impossible to use this size tubing with 3/4" outer diameter fittings because it is but you'll need to work with the tubing to find natural curves in the tubing for which you can exploit because if you bend it a way it doesn't want to go it will kink on you.

When purchasing tubing I usually get two meters, it's very cheap and you can make mistakes whilst having plenty to hand. Make sure you get a good brand of tubing or it will deteriorate fast and be more difficult to maneuver inside the case. I personally use ClearFlex but XSPC and Tygon especially make great tubing in a variety of colors. By the way if you use colored liquid in your loop it will stain the tubing, there is no way to stop that it's just something that will happen eventually. Because of this a lot of people like to use colored tubing and clear fluid instead of a colored liquid. I too would advise you to go that route however it's not really a big deal unless you want to change the colour of your liquid after a few months. I personally went with transparent ClearFlex tubing and red dyed coolant by EK in my most recent build and before that I just used clear fluid with black tubing and before that I used clear tubing with green liquid.

If you have any more questions I'd be happy to answer those for you.
Db696
CPU: i7 3770 3.9 ghz
RAM: G.Skill 12gb 1333
Motherboard: ASUS P8b75-V
GPU: EVGA GTX 780
Display: Samsung 1920 x 1080
Cooling: Air - Standard

Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:40 am

Where is everyone getting the money for this shit...
DoctorJ999
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:51 am

The Tubing i have found is PrimoFlex Pro and the Inner Diameter is 1/2", and outer is 3/4".
http://www.xoxide.com/primoflex-12id-34od-uvblue.html

I cannot tell what the diameter is for my pump.
http://www.ekwb.com/shop/pumps-and-acce ... -pump.html

Should i Change Tubing,i honestly don't care if its clear, because i like the UV Blue Coolant and i will always like UV Blue, because you know, its soo damn sexy.

So i need some compression fittings.

And DB, im not getting this ATM, like in 4 Months, i might get some off the stuff sooner, but the case im definatly saving up until christmas or after thanksgiving.
Pri
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:02 am

That pump uses G1/4 threads so it will take a standard fitting by default. It's quite a good pump that many different companies sell with their own logo on it.
tomisafish
Supporter
Supporter
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.2GHz
RAM: Mushkin 8GB 1600MHz
Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Gene
GPU: EVGA GTX 670
Display: LG IPS226 | Generic 4:3 thing.
Cooling: Open water loop

Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:20 pm

You might want to remember that the 800D is seriously massive so measure up where you are thinking about putting it. Also, if you think there is a chance you will move your computer around the house now and then then think twice because it is a bitch to move and weighs a ton.

Other than that it is a very well built case that will probably last you for as long as they make motherboards that fit it.
DoctorJ999
Apprentice
Apprentice

Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:54 pm

Haha, thanks tom. Im gonna put it next to my desk, it will fit perfect. I measured and the top will go straight to the top of the desk, so its like a tiny addition.

Return to “Hardware Hangout”