Status of WinMX and my position within it.

Discuss anything you want about WinMX & the Renegades chat room here
Pri
Site Admin
Site Admin

Status of WinMX and my position within it.

Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:31 am

So I've been meaning to write this for a while because a lot of people seem to be confused about me and what it is I do and what it is I've done within the WinMX community. A lot of misconceptions, rumours. Some of them quite out there.

So here is just a quick rundown of frequently asked questions:

Q: Do I run WinMX Itself (aka the whole thing)?
A: No.

Q: Do I operate a peer cache?
A: No. I used to about a year ago but not any longer, when I did it was for WinMXWorld.com

Q: Am I the WinMX Police?

Q: Then why do you offer this Pulse Protection & Proxy Blocker if you're not trying to be the WinMX Police?
A: Hosters have a right to protect their rooms. I made the tools yes, but I gave them out with the source codes anyone can modify them and redistribute as they see fit. I do not come to peoples rooms and lay down the law or demand they use my tools the hosters themselves use the software (or not) by their own choice and I think most of WinMX doesn't even know they exist. I'm no more a police officer than a pepper spray manufacturer is a police officer. I provide tools for others to use, nothing more.

Q: Am I causing or do I know who is behind the attacks on the network?

Q: Am I involved with spamming WinMX Chat Rooms on the network or do I know who is?

Q: Have I ever knowingly caused damage to anyones computer on the internet including servers?

Q: Have I ever attacked anyones rooms on WinMX including Spamming, Flooding, Bug Exploiting etc

Q: Have I ever performed any attack on WinMX, Such as Search Manipulation, Fake Room Broadcasting, Refresh Packet Flooding, Large Packet Injection or any other type of attack known or unknown to the wider WinMX Community?

Q: What is RCS? I see it when I enter your room.
A: It stands for 'Renegades Chat Server' and it is merely a Chat Server based on WCS which was open sourced by KM a few years ago. It is not publicly released and is only used in Renegades Chat Rooms, it's nothing special and it is not protected from the attacks, it still delists my room from the network when the attack starts like all the others.

Q: Josh is a member of your room, I hear he's the attacker!
A: No. Josh is not the attacker. Me and him have both discussed at length for many hours ways to solve the attacks just like many others have there is no evidence to point to him being the attacker and in-fact quite the contrary as he has gone out of his way time and time again to create tools that help alleviate the burden these attacks are having on room hosters. I'm talking specifically about his web based wpnlist

Q: If Josh isn't doing the attacks then how comes rooms that list themselves on his Web Based WPNLister show up in WinMX and other rooms do not?
A: The attack is complicated to explain to people who are not too familiar with the terminology, but to put it in simple terms one of the attacks being employed by the attackers sends lots and lots of data to anyone hosting a chat room. These data packets are sent with such a high volume that many rooms that host on home lines are unable to answer all the requests. This means if your room starts to run out of bandwidth it will stop appearing because it cannot answer the legitimate queries from real users who are just trying to get a channel list up. What Joshes tool does is it lists your room for you on a very beefy dedicated server which can keep the rooms showing regardless of the traffic load. This is a server in a paid data centre not a home connection and I believe it has at-least a 1Gb internet connection in both Download and Upload. There is no trickery going on just a brute force attempt to keep rooms showing on the network. And btw these servers don't grow on trees.

Now I think I've answered all the usual stuff I've seen floating around.. If you have any specific questions you want answered then just post them in this topic and I'll answer them.

Return to “General Discussion”