Is the server down today?

Discuss all non-Minecraft gaming related topics here
Huros
Architect
Architect

Re: Is the server down today?

Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:30 pm

No news yet but eventually we'll find out what's up. Guess i'll try to be productive :p
Pri
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:11 pm

As of this post the servers are back online.

I apologize for the downtime. It would appear that the BMC IPMI chip in the server has become faulty either due to a recent firmware update or due to age.

This chip is what provides the server with its graphics subsystem and also management, restarting remotely, monitoring, viewing the screen of the server over a network connection etc

I have rolled back the firmware on the BMC chip to an earlier version which we ran successfully for two years prior to our recent upgrade earlier this month. I have also placed a dedicated graphics card (NVIDIA Quadro NVS 290) into the server which will bypass the BMC graphics and if the BMC is the reason for the crashes this should alleviate that issue.

One reason I believe the BMC is at fault is the server maintained its network connections (IRC, VNC) but was unable to provide any video. The VNC connection which provides remote video access was just a frozen screen and I was unable to access the IPMI through the BMC which should never occur. So it is my belief the BMC crashed and then the system without graphics was unable to run properly and only command line software like ZNC which doesn't have any graphics hooks of any kind were able to continue running without issue. So to clarify the server didn't freeze or crash, but all the features the BMC is involved with stopped working which is why I'm pointing to that as the only likely cause. The server event viewer listed no issues of any kind so I don't have any logs to examine.

Unfortunately hardware issues like this do happen from time to time especially when you run servers 24 hours a day 7 days a week. They age and things begin to fail and need replacing. I can only ask for your patience while we work through these issues to make the server stable again.
judge817
Architect
Architect

Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:16 pm

thanx PRI for all your hard work and effort to get the server back online !

Return to “General Gaming Discussion”