CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K
RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270E GAMING
GPU: MSI GTX 1070 ARMOR OC
Display: 27" Dell U2713HM
Cooling: Custom Watercooled CPU Loop

Re: The server and its future

Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:20 pm

I agree on the fly thing and we can go one better by giving fly time as rewards or as a thing you can purchase in terms of hours/minutes etc

https://www.spigotmc.org/resources/tempfly.54987/

It would be another good money sink.
jackerdelta
Legendary Crafter
Legendary Crafter

Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:51 pm

I think Rick's idea of having fly time as a type of currency is great. However, I think to really make the game harder, cards should be nerfed in some way. Right now if a player spends a small amount of time reading the wiki, or has someone tell them about the different eggs around spawn, they can get a diamond pickaxe in no time at all. Ore chamber, Panda Egg both give cards which give insanely good gear (especially if you're completely new, and haven't even left spawn).

One way which I think eggs can be nerfed is maybe in order to access certain eggs (or gain the ability to get certain cards) you must reach certain goals such as having a certain rennie amount, or having a certain amount of play time. By increasing the difficulty of obtaining cards, new players can't shortcut their way to end-game simply by flying around spawn doing eggs for a few hours.

Additionally, I think a way to drive end game players back to the server is to remove perm fly from everyone, including staff. The way you would gain minutes of fly time is through voting, (like R150 and 25 mins of fly time per vote), as well as maybe implementing a daily task system. This way, if you log on every day you can complete daily tasks (such as killing mobs, using x amount of cards, or staying on for 30 mins doing something, etc.) and in return get lots of fly time.

Legendary Crafter 2016, Epic Crafter 2015-2016, City Planner 2013-2015, Architect 2012-2013, Apprentice 2011-2012
Girvvy
Staff
Staff

Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:35 pm

I like Jack's idea of nerfing eggs/cards. I think a lot of long term players are able to buy a lot of the special items and collect a lot of them, and then dish them out to newer players (Ore Chamber Pickaxe, Panda King Weapons etc) for really cheap as they aren't of much value to those who have stuck around a while.

In terms of flying I quite like the idea of having a system that makes it harder for players to gain the ability to fly (or having no fly feature at all), I think making builds that require access without flight is an interesting challenge and certainly feels more 'vanilla'. Perhaps we could spread our the rewards between different ranks, giving maybe an extra 30 minutes/an hour of daily fly time each time you rank up. I think adding newer rewards and to the rank system might help in promoting the idea of ranking up and submitting builds, since this is an area thats also dried up slightly recently.

I also think the prospect of inventory dropping on death is only worthwhile without the /back command. Doesn't have much of an effect if you can just teleport back to the spot where you died. Perhaps instead of using /back it could RTP you within a 500 block radius of where you died, so you don't have to trek across the map from spawn (from those without a /home) but still have the aspect of finding your death point.

In terms of griefing builds, perhaps if you're in a town people can grief you, but it gives you a notification or a mail message telling you who it was that did it, and you can then go and get 'revenge' and grief them in return? Understand this is probably a lot of/too much work but just throwing general ideas into the mix so we have a range to consider.
LaRoqueStar
Apprentice
Apprentice

Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:33 am

I am all for these changes! Looting/Stealing from unprotected things (but not destroying your house/build) Losing Items on death however only thing I'm worried about is potential hackers killing you and taking all your stuff and I also loved the challenge of having to have enough R to keep your town up
I also think flying should still be available to ranked players only instead of being able to buy it.(challenges people to rank up even more)

Here's to a better and improved RenMX!
Hi! I'm LaR
Panoramixia
Epic Crafter
Epic Crafter

Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:59 am

I agree that the server is declining.
And something must be done about it.
However, I do not agree with many suggested ideas.

Before I came to this server (1.75-2 years ago, a complete newbie compared to most of you), I played on a real white listed vanilla server.
Not with friends, with complete strangers found on Reddit.

Here are some "features" of vanilla servers:
  • Getting killed by other players for no reason (PvP on all the time)
  • No death protection of items
  • No chest protection
  • No warehouse
  • No town protection (buildings getting destroyed while I slept "just for fun")
  • No craftbook
  • No silktouch spawner
  • No voting system (no money system, no ranks with perks)
  • No admin shop
  • No cards
  • No warp / home commands
  • No flying
These are reasons why I chose to try this server out of the 3-4 that I found on "looking for players/server" sites and Reddit.
And playing with great people is the reason I stayed.

I think you are mislead to think that new people will join the server if their dirt house is destroyed and first chest of items is looted.
Or if they get killed in iron equipment by people with fully enchanted diamond equipment player killing "just to make things fun".
I saw the looted chest happen on this server about 6 months ago, it was their own fault because they didn't read in /warp learn to put a sign on their chest to lock it, so it was all good with the current rules, but they still quit.

These are all reasons why there are almost no vanilla servers anymore.

People want to easily get rewards, not them being harder to get or not able to get them at all.
I remember someone joining a year ago, asking when he could get the ability to fly, I told it takes 100 votes (33 days) and then quit right away, never to come back.
I do not think that a month is long, and in my opinion getting it with Gold heart (donation) would be better than Purple heart.
But clearly that person chose this server because he wanted to fly "right now", and just left for another server.
Chances are that he would have left when being kicked for stealing a diamond block in a build, but still...

While I do not have great ideas at the moment, we need to find something different to attract people, and try not to make them leave.
On the top 10 servers of the voting sites I see:
  • PvP (factions)
  • Skyblock (we already got that, but the solo version, not the multispawner + automatic bots kind)
  • Prison (I have no clue what this is)
  • Drug wars (I don't know either)
  • Customized items (buying special enchants ?)
  • Mini games (and I assume Parkour)
  • mcMMO / Classes
But at the same time if we do the same as they does, why would they choose us ?
What can we offer that is different than them ?
Artusha

Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:12 am

My wife and I play on the server to build the town we control. We see features of the current RENMX, such as: flying and KeepInventoryOn and the lack of monsters/griefing in our protected area as a huge timesaver.

Flying allows us to build faster and get a better look at the build as it progresses. As well as to travel quicker between areas.

Neither of us ever wear any armor, because we don't engage in anything risky or really even go outside of our town. But Keep Inventory keeps me at peace when I have to step away from the computer for more than 5 minutes.

I think it would be fine to make the "Wilderness" unsafe, but as long as players can set their own rules within their town. You can make thrill-seekers and builders equally happy.
Pri
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:34 am

Yes I do not intend to make towns an insecure area. If you pay your town taxes (like now) it will remain a completely isolated zone where you can do what you wish inside including disabling PVP, disabling explosions, disabling monsters etc

Most of what I've proposed is for the wild areas. The feedback so far is promising I'm sure we can come to a compromise of feature changes that everyone can agree on, we will have a second topic after this discussion one with planned changes which will have been determined based on all the feedback from this topic, you will then have an opportunity to exactly discuss the proposed changes before we further refine them into a few that we will eventually get implement.

Also when we do any of the proposed changes we will do so gradually one or two at a time so that we can gauge the impact and rollback anything that doesn't work. We certainly are not going to rush into anything and cause severe damage.
Panoramixia
Epic Crafter
Epic Crafter

Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:12 am

Maybe there are some mods that could be installed from: Since you mentioned that changes require a lot of effort...
is the most change to least effort ratio would be to create a brand new vanilla 1.13 map and play completely vanilla?
mjw8441
Staff
Staff

Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:48 am

LaRoqueStar wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:33 am
I am all for these changes! Looting/Stealing from unprotected things (but not destroying your house/build) Losing Items on death however only thing I'm worried about is potential hackers killing you and taking all your stuff and I also loved the challenge of having to have enough R to keep your town up
I also think flying should still be available to ranked players only instead of being able to buy it.(challenges people to rank up even more)

Here's to a better and improved RenMX!
Such situations as hackers being on the server is one of the things we're here for, as long as there's proof to a player hacking then we can retrieve items and give them back to the player killed as long as they aren't in their warehouse. The best way to avoid it is keeping any valuable items you want to carry in your backpack
KraKra1GamingYT

All for the idea

Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:42 pm

I am all for the idea of making the server harder, ever since I joined the server in 2016. I have missed all the aspects from playing in a single player world. I feel that making the server harder for all players including all the OG's of the server would bring new players on the server to stay.

I think that flying should have a tax per day that you use the flight, if /fly is activated then the server would take Rennies from your balance.

But I have a question for Pri_ and the rest of the staff team, how would everything be monitored. would it be the same as it was before, or what would change. What would be the rules for the changes that you want to make to the server.

I support the changes that you want to make to the server, what ever will help the server and the player base. I am all for it. Lets Get this server to the top, and grow a player base like non-other!

Return to “Minecraft General Discussion”