Player Archetypes - Or the answer to the question "What's the point of this game?"

Discuss anything you want about Minecraft here including our own servers
Panoramixia
Epic Crafter
Epic Crafter

Player Archetypes - Or the answer to the question "What's the point of this game?"

Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:02 pm

I found the following thread on Reddit really interesting and felt like sharing it.
These archetype could maybe used in the new players presentation ?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comm ... _question/
Written by https://www.reddit.com/user/Ajreil
Let me start by saying this isn't one of those "Find out what kind of player you are!" posts. The goal of this game is to answer the question I've seen a lot on /r/minecraft, the question of minecraft's point.

If anyone ever asks you "What's the point of this game?" or "How do you stay interested in Minecraft?" consider pointing them to this post.

So, what's the point of Minecraft? The point is whatever you want it to be. It may sound odd, but bear with me. Minecraft is as much of a creativity tool as it is a game, and like any tool, people use it differently.

Generally, players fall into one or multiple of these archetypes. Each type wants a different thing from the game, and each one will find different things interesting.
  • Architects

Architects enjoy building, and may spend a lot of their time in creative mode. From prismarine and purpur to wood and stone, Minecraft has a lot of aesthetically pleasing blocks to work with. This type of player may see the game as a creative tool like an artist sees a paintbrush.
  • Megabuilders

This type of builder is not unlike an Architect, except for one factor: scale. Megabuilders build massive builds, and these can take a long time to complete. Some will spend months at a time building castles, full scale models of the USS Enterptise, or full cities.
  • Survivalists

This type of player enjoys the survival aspects of Minecraft. From establishing a basic farm and a bed to mining to surviving monsters, these players enjoy survival mode and collecting resources. Unlike creative mode, when playing in survival you have to earn every block and item you plan to use, so naturally Survivalists spend a lot of their time gathering them.
  • Challenge Hunters

Challenge Hunters set challenges for themselves, and for them the goal of the game is to complete them. This may include completing all of Minecraft's achievements or killing both bosses. Many set challenges for themselves, such as obtaining one of every item or killing one of every mob.

Challenge Hunters may also enjoy player-made challenge maps, such as the famous complete the monument series that requires players to track down 16 colored idols.
  • Hardcore player

Minecraft has a hardcore mode where if you die your world is deleted. This adds an extra layer of difficulty that makes the game more challenging. Some may add extra difficulty such as turning off natural health regeneration so you need to obtain healing potions or golden apples to get it back.

There are many ways you can make the game more challenging, but the goal is the same. By making survival mode more challenging, the experience is much more rewarding.
  • Redstone Engineer

Redstone is Minecraft's equivalent to circuitry. For people who like to tinker, redstone will probably be fun. You can make everything from large doors that open using pistons to computers to walking slime block robots.
  • Mechanic Engineer

Similar to Redstone Engineers, Mechanic Engineers like to tinker with the game's more technical aspects. Rather than using redstone, however, this type of player messes with game mechanics. Things like tricking mob pathfinding, making villagers farm crops for you, and playing with Minecraft's odd water mechanics are what this type of player tinkers with.
  • Command Block Engineers

Think the game couldn't get more technical than walking slime block robots? Meet the Command Block Engineer. Minecraft has dozens of commands that can be used to summon mobs, move chunks of the world from one place to another, teleport the player around or do complex logic. Combined with some redstone knowledge, you can accomplish some impressive feats. From simple things like making bats explode when you get near them or making players run faster with no armor on, to amazingly complex things like making Tetris with falling blocks or making a seed that creates a skyscraper when planted. If you've ever found programming interesting, you may find command blocks interesting.
  • Industrialist

To quote Adam Savage, anything worth doing is worth overdoing. Industrialists make farms to automatically produce resources. Mob grinders spawn and kill mobs for their drops, crops are automatically harvested with pistons or villagers; the Industrialist sees any opportunity to automate something as a worthy endeavour. They don't necessarily have to understand the farms they build, however. Farms are usually designed by the Engineers, and many Industrialists follow their tutorials.
  • Explorer

Minecraft has nearly infinite amounts of terrain ripe to be explored. The Explorer spends a lot of their time traveling through the world. Some of the best moments for explorers are finding a pretty waterfall or some other unique land formation, or finding the villages and other structures that populate the world.

Minecraft's world is also ripe with dungeons and monuments ripe with treasure waiting to be explored and looted. Some prefer to explore work that other people have done, downloading maps others have made or joining servers where other people have built things.
  • Monster Hunter

Players versus monster combat in Minecraft is quite enjoyable for many players, and with the recent Combat Update, many consider it more challenging and more balanced. Fighting mobs offers a unique challenge that many players enjoy.
  • Minigame player

Minecraft has a massive number of minigames to choose from. Several servers exists with the sole purpose of letting players play minigames together, and thousands of player-made minigame maps can be downloaded and played.

One common example is Spleef, where you try to break the blocks under another player's feet to eliminate them. The last one still on the platform wins.
  • Player Killer

If mobs aren't tough enough for you, you can fight other players. Many servers exist for this sole purpose. Some servers also allow you to raid other players' bases and steal their stuff. Raid or Faction servers give this type of player a way to wage wars against other players in an environment where you don't get banned for griefing.
  • Conversationalist

For some, Minecraft is a social experience. Conversationalists will play on servers to chat, and don't spend a lot of time actually playing the game. This type of player will spend most of their time chatting away, and may jump from game to game trying to find interesting people to talk to.
  • Modder

Minecraft has literally thousands of mods to choose from, and some are larger than the base game itself. I'm not going to go into any detail here, just know that if you have an idea, there's a good chance a mod exists that can let you do it. The Modder looks to expand the game based on what he wants the game to be, building an experience around himself and expanding the game. I could easily make a post just about this, but I'd be here all day.
  • Content Maker

Content Makers create content for other people to enjoy. This may mean making adventure maps, mods, mod packs, servers, or some new category no one has thought of yet. Content Makers want other people to enjoy their works. The best feeling for this type of player is to have a finished product that you're satisfied with and watch someone else play it and enjoy their experience.
  • Prestige Hunters

For some players, it doesn't matter what they do, as long as it's impressive. Prestige Hunters usually play on servers, and their goal is generally to be the best player around. This may mean having more diamonds than everyone else, the most massive castle, or if the server has a money system, being the richest player around. This type of player wants respect and admiration from their peers.
  • Nostalgia Seekers

Some players played older versions of the game, long before some of the newer features were added. When these player rediscover the game, Nostalgia Seekers will try to have some of the same experiences they had when Minecraft was fresh and exciting for them. This may mean loading up their old worlds if they have them, playing old versions of the game, or watching the same Youtubers they did back in the day. Trying to rekindle that feeling when you just discovered the game is important to these players.
If you came here asking what the point of Minecraft is, hopefully this gives you an idea. Obviously this list is far from complete. I'm sure many archetypes exists that I haven't heard of yet. Also, players can be a few or even all of these archetypes at once.
Pri
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Player Archetypes - Or the answer to the question "What's the point of this game?"

Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:10 pm

Interesting post :)
Panoramixia
Epic Crafter
Epic Crafter

Re: Player Archetypes - Or the answer to the question "What's the point of this game?"

Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:07 pm

Oh I forgot to say that I am mostly an Industrialist / Conversationalist ;)
Girvvy
Staff
Staff

Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:16 pm

Found this quite an interesting read, at the moment I'd say I'm definitely a Megabuilder as well as a conversationalist :P

- Girv

Return to “Minecraft General Discussion”