Server Will Go Down; 1.6b

Discuss anything you want about Minecraft here including our own servers
Pri
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Server Will Go Down; 1.6b

Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:43 am

Okay just an update on what is going on. Canary it looks like is not going to be updated for some time if at all. Their site administrator has put a notice on their front page saying they need developers and they've become disorganised and the project is in jeopardy. He has also announced that many Plugin developers have expressed their frustration with the situation and have unfortunately abandoned Canary en masse and moved to Bukkit.

Because of this I've decided that it's time for us to move to bukkit. Bukkit is updated for Minecraft 1.6.6 (The current version of Minecraft as of this post). It has had more plugins updated for 1.6.6 in the past 2 days than Canary has plugins total. With that kind of speed I believe moving to Bukkit is the right decision.

Now obviously the first question you'll want to ask me is what will this mean for the server, how will things change?

First of all we will be losing LogBlock and going to BigBrother. We will be losing Cuboid entirely and instead relying only on WorldEdit. Apart from these two changes most things will feel the same. All the exsisting Warps will be maintained, players will still be unable to take damage, all Mobs/Animals will be deactivated, all players will have /item and teleporting. We will still have Craftbook.

I will of course be making some changes. Weather will not stay completely normal it won't rain at all. And daylight will be on 24.7 so we no longer need to keep typing /weather stop or /time day every 10 minutes. /sethome will now let you create an unlimited amount of sethomes. You can type for example /sethome building and then type /home building to go there.

I'm also going to be using the Piston Mod so if you install the Piston Client stuff you'll be able to use it on our server. We will be using a Glass mod which lets you place any blocks on glass (such as torches, redstone, doors etc).

All our current Sethomes and Warps will be transferred over. Once you are on the server make /sethomes of your personal build warps as we are going to need to change to another warp plugin after a few days.

Those of you familiar with Bukkit may want an exact list of the plugins we will be using so here is that list:

Permissions - Handles all the user groups
General - General Commands like /tp /item etc
Prefixer - Coloured Names
PlgWarp - Handles our warps from Canary
BigBrother - Block Logging / reverting of grief
WorldGuard - Stops Fire/Lava/TNT/Player Damage/Weather etc
WorldEdit - Lets you edit the world like Cuboid
MyHome - Lets you set multiple homes
FalseBook - Bukkit port of Craftbook
Spyer - Lets Mods/Admins go invisible to monitor suspected griefers
Pistons - The piston Mod mentioned above
VIP - Allows Admins/Mods to enter server even if its full with players
BlocksOnGlass - Lets you place any block on Glass
AlwaysDay - Always Daytime
DynMap - Dynamic map generation with Google Maps API
Pri
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:07 am

The test server with Bukkit is currently up and operational. You can login at mc.renmx.com:4005 I've discovered a few 'show stopping' bugs which means I'll have to delay us upgrading to Bukkit for possibly another few days.

One issue looks like Bukkit or the new 1.6.6 is corrupting the map. So obviously we cannot update until that is fixed.

Another issue is that the server is incredibly laggy and slow. This appears to be a notch 1.6.6 bug and our Canary server just performs tons better in general.

Other bugs I found I was able to fix before I made this post but I do urge you all to jump on and report any weird stuff happening or things not working as they should so I can correct them.
Riven
Architect
Architect

Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:17 pm

im leaving in about 30 mins to go camping for the weekend so i wont be able to test anything till monday.

see ya guys then
tomisafish
Supporter
Supporter
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.2GHz
RAM: Mushkin 8GB 1600MHz
Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Gene
GPU: EVGA GTX 670
Display: LG IPS226 | Generic 4:3 thing.
Cooling: Open water loop

Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:30 pm

Riven wrote:im leaving in about 30 mins to go camping for the weekend so i wont be able to test anything till monday.

see ya guys then
Have fun. Don't get eaten by lions.
lilskorupski
Architect
Architect

Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:03 pm

im not whitelisted on it?
Skorup
Pri
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:07 pm

The server is now updated to 1.6.6 - Upgrade your games ladies! :)

lilskorupski = You have been whitelisted on the main server :)
skoch26
Master Crafter
Master Crafter

Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:49 am

Do MC's get WE now?

Return to “Minecraft General Discussion”