Colossus

Post your computer builds here and ask for hardware assistance, buying advice or anything hardware related for computers, smart phones, tablets or other electrical devices.
Pri
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Project Colossus

Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:21 am

Yep they do have fans. I got mine from scan.co.uk

Product Page: http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Jou-Jye- ... S-SATA-HDD

I have three of those units ^ inside the server.
Pri
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:44 pm

Just another update.

I have added 3x2TB Samsung drives to the server at a cost of £260. I bought the drives from aria.co.uk as they were the cheapest in the country.

I now have 14TB total in the server. 8x1TB and 3x2TB. 10.10TB of that storage is accessible to me for storing data.

This is the arranagement currently.

1x1TB = Boot Disk / Applications / Database
7x1TB = RAID 5 Array which means 6TB is accessible, 1x1TB is used for Parity.
3x2TB = RAID 5 Array which means 4TB is accessible, 1x2TB is used for Parity.

Altogether it works out as 10.10TB accessible. It might seem like quite a loss, 14TB in the system but only 10.10TB usable. But keep in mind that 10.10TB is after formatting and such. And now that the Parity is out of the way I can add in new 2TB disks and their entire storage of each drive will be usable. So if for example I add in another 2TB drive, I will physically gain access to that extra 2TB none will be wasted the overhead is already done.

I doubt I will hit 18TB by September this year which was the 'Goal' as I simply don't need to. I have 4.9TB free now which is more than enough to last me until probably June 2011 at which point 2TB drives will be so cheap that I can replace my current 1TB drives as-well as fill the final 4 bays on my server.

Thanks for following along with the project. Also someone asked me how stable all this is so right now as of this second the server has been online 84 Days straight. And that includes when I put the new 2TB disks in to the server as I built it with Hotswapping in mind I was able to put the new hard disks in to the server without powering the server off. :D
Pri
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:08 pm

Oh I forgot to update this thread but I've added a bunch of 2TB drives since the last post was made. I'm pushing 24TB in the server right now and I'm planning the acquisition of some 3TB drives.

The capacity of the server is still 45TB if I used 15x3TB drives. Which right now is not the plan. I'm thinking 7x3TB and 7x2TB for a little over 30TB.

Return to “Hardware Hangout”