iPhone 5

Post your computer builds here and ask for hardware assistance, buying advice or anything hardware related for computers, smart phones, tablets or other electrical devices.
Pri
Site Admin
Site Admin

iPhone 5

Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:17 am

So I know I said I was going to wait for the next Google Nexus Phone or possibly buy the Samsung Galaxy S3. But the iPhone 5 came out and it's a really nice phone.

I tried the S3 in a shop and I found it to be quite laggy and the apps pre-loaded by Samsung to be inconsistent in appearance and quality. I tried my friends HTC Android (I believe it's a Desire HD) and I wasn't really that impressed by the apps available either.

So with all that in my mind I decided it was best to stick with what I know works for me. I'm a geek and the iPhone does not offer me any kind of geeky customization features. But it does offer a massive array of applications to the tune of over 700,000. And it also has support from seemingly every company imaginable. My Pay TV service, my bank, my ISP, my Mobile and Landline providers, my energy supplier.. you name it they have Apps on the iOS Store.

And of course I've also spent probably £150+ on Apps on the app store which would just go straight down the drain. And those are Apps that I'd either have to buy again or just don't exist on Android.

So I pre-ordered a 64GB iPhone 5 for myself and it came yesterday at about 4:30pm - Launch day.

I've taken some pictures here comparing it to my old 32GB iPhone 4S I would also compare it to my much older 3GS but I sold that a few weeks ago.

I'm not going to do a full blown review of the phone as there are plenty of sites for that but I will say a few things here in this mini-review. First of all this feels both larger than my iPhone 4S to my eyes and yet smaller than my iPhone 4S in my hand. It's a very strange feeling it has a bigger screen and yet a smaller physical footprint. Indeed volumetrically it is smaller than the iPhone 4S but they shoehorned in this beautiful 4" display. The screen makes this phone and it looks spectacular. It is even more colour accurate than the 4S which was largely considered the best display on a smart phone as it used IPS technology instead of AMOLED.

The physical build quality is astounding the mix of the anodised black aluminium and the glass is really striking and it looks sculpted to the same level as fine hand crafted jewelry and yet we know this is mass produced in some polluting factory in China.

Speed wise it feels faster than the 4S. Applications open noticeably quicker, browsing web pages is faster not just because of the faster 3G and LTE but because of the CPU's ability to render the pages much faster. The graphics in the phone have also seen a great boost and in-fact are now 3.5x faster than the iPhone 4S. Indeed this is the fastest ARM SoC on the market beating every other phone and tablet available including the Galaxy S3, Nexus 7 and even the iPad 3 in both CPU and GPU performance. Incredible engineering on Apples part.

The GPU performance increase is very noticeable when scrolling lists or swiping left to right between applications. Android has only just caught up to the iPhone 4's interface responsiveness with Jelly Bean and Apple has already reiterated on that level of performance twice now, first with the iPhone 4S and now with the iPhone 5. This is by far the most responsive to the touch iPhone I've ever handled.

And lastly perhaps the most important thing of all is call quality. Apple has stepped up here as well by placing three separate microphones on the device, two dedicated to listening to your environment so that it can do dynamic noise cancelling not just for the person hearing you but for you listening to the other person too. But they didn't stop there because they have also included High Definition Voice Calls which is a feature some Android phones have had for a while. I tried this yesterday with a call to my friend who also received an iPhone 5 (you must be on a HD Call enabled carrier such as Three or Orange in the UK) it is like studio quality sound nothing like the annoying tinny-staticy phone calls you're used to.

So in closing, I love my iPhone 5 it is a really excellent step up over the iPhone 4S. It doesn't bring any big innovation to the game but it reiterates on an already comfortable formula. iOS 6 was definitely a let down and in my opinion it does not meet the bar set by the iPhone 5's hardware. I feel that iOS 7 coming next year will step things up. Apple did put 1GB of RAM in the iPhone 5, up from 512MB in the iPhone 4S and with that extra memory they can certainly do a lot with the operating system.
Pri
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: iPhone 5

Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:08 pm

Just one more thing I wanted to add was a speed test over 3G. In the UK we don't have LTE yet, but my network (Three) is going to launch LTE this January. They've not announced speeds yet but we are expecting it to be about 40Mb/ps down at a minimum. Anyway this is what their data rates are like over 3G right now.

I took this yesterday. My dataplan offers unlimited data with tethering so I'm real happy with these speeds. On my iPhone 4S I would get about 7.2Mb/ps down so this is twice as fast.
tomisafish
Supporter
Supporter
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.2GHz
RAM: Mushkin 8GB 1600MHz
Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Gene
GPU: EVGA GTX 670
Display: LG IPS226 | Generic 4:3 thing.
Cooling: Open water loop

Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:57 pm

As much as I hate to say it, that phone looks slick as hell.
PandaOwnage
Supporter
Supporter
CPU: Intel Core i7 950
RAM: 12GB Kingston DDR3 HyperX 1600
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD5870
Display: Asus VH242 24"
Cooling: Air

Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:20 am

Of course you have the iPhone already. :lol:
Might actually try get it for Christmas if I can get it overseas, the prices here are ridiculous.
Pri
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:43 pm

PandaOwnage wrote:Of course you have the iPhone already. :lol:
:D
Db696
CPU: i7 3770 3.9 ghz
RAM: G.Skill 12gb 1333
Motherboard: ASUS P8b75-V
GPU: EVGA GTX 780
Display: Samsung 1920 x 1080
Cooling: Air - Standard

Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:40 pm

... Didn't you just get that 4s? It seems the last time i talked to you about apple's mobile phone products you had a 3gs.
Pri
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:06 pm

I got the iPhone 4S about 11 months ago when it launched Db :)

But back then I didn't get it on launch day because I pre-ordered the white one and then changed my mind and cancelled it and re-ordered the black one so it took about 20 days after the launch date before mine came. I did not make that mistake this time :lol:
Db696

Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:07 pm

Aha, well my contract ends in... june. So by then i will have an Iphone 5. I've been using the Iphone since the first launch and i don't have any complaints.

(Except the iphone 3g, that thing fucking sucked)

(not the 3gs...)
Pri
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:14 pm

You might as well wait until september and get the iPhone 5S.
Db696

Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:34 pm

I suppose, depends if my current phone survives the year( i think it will)

Return to “Hardware Hangout”